FIVE

FIVE

Kylee sat silently, her eyes glued to the bed inches from his hand. His skin was better than it had been before, the scars the only reminder of the fire. His eyes were open today, blankly staring off into space. "I'm sorry it's been a while since I visited," Kylee spoke softly, reaching out to grab his hand. She smiled faintly at the familiar feeling of his scared skin, the last thing she thought she had of the Hale's. "Moms getting worse." She paused, "but you seem to be getting better." She was glad, the man had now spent six years of his life like this. He deserved to finally wake up and see how the world has become.

"Visiting hours are almost up," Kylee glanced behind her to the door, her eyes landing on Peter's nurse. The woman was short, her bright red hair sticking out in her classic movie get-up nurses outfit. She wore the white skirt and tight shirt with confidence, confusing the young brunette who had only seen nurses wear the usual scrubs. Yet his nurse wore that every shift.

The hazel eyed girl nodded, turning to Peter once again, "I'll try to visit more frequently." Her words were soft once again. Her eyes drifted down to their hands, following the path to the scar on her arm. She stared at the marked skin upset, the daily reminder of her consequence for surviving. Yet she couldn't help thanking the man in front if her everytime she visited him. "After all, you saved my life."

She made her way out of the hospital slowly, stopping at a vending machine for a quick snack. She crunched the chips in her mouth as she exited the hospital, digging her keys out of her bag as she did so. "Kylee?"

The brunette froze, swallowing the chips in her mouth before meeting his eyes. The green was bright despite the disappearing light around them, the male watching her closely, "Derek?" She knew it was the man across from her, yet she asked him anyway.

He moved to her side in quick steps, looking down at her, "I heard you talking to Peter." Kylee shifted carefully in her spot, glancing behind the male at the hospital they both had just exited. "What's wrong with your mom?"

The brunette had to remind herself that this was her childhood friend, although she had believed he was dead for six years, he was still a major part of her life and had grown up with her parents in his life. "She's extremely depressed," Kylee answered, continuing forwards towards her car. "She hasn't really moved from her bed much since the fire." She could feel his eyes on her as he followed her. "Well, she actually doesn't move at all unless I make her."

"Because of your father?" He wondered, the brunette visible flinching. Her nightmares flashed before her eyes, her hazel eyes fluttering shut as she tried to ignore the images.

She swallowed thickly, opening her eyes and brushing her hair out of her face, "I was told everyone died." She stated, her eyes locking with his.

"Laura and I," he paused looking away and breathing in deeply. "We got there as the house was engulfed in flames."