FOUR

FOUR

Kylee made her way up the stairs quickly, walking into his room like it was her own. She sprawled out on his bed beside him, chuckling as he simply rolled over. The routine was not new, whenever Kylee grew frustrated with things at home she would find herself in his room. Even after countless sleepovers, he was always able to get her mind off of her mother.

The two laid flat in silence until his mother walked in a smile on her face as she eyed the two of them, "Hey. Late shift again for me. But I am taking Saturday off to see your first game."

Both teens looked up at her words, their eyes following her as she walked closer to the bed, "Oh, mom, you can't."

"Oh, no, I can and I will. Come on, one shift isn't gonna break us." Melissa paused, her eyes dancing around the room. "Completely." She turned her attention back on her son, stepping forward with her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Hey, what's wrong with your eyes? You look like you haven't slept in days."

Kylee and Scott sat up quickly, sharing a look before facing the adult in the room. "Oh, uh, it's nothing. I'm just - stressed."

"Just stress? Nothin' else?"

"Homework." Scott nodded.

"I mean, it's not like you're on drugs or anything, right?" Melissa questioned, her eyes dancing between both teens. "Either of you?"

"Right now?" Scott raised his eyebrows.

Melissa looked shocked by his words, her eyes widening, "Right now? I'm sorry, what do you mean "right now"? Have you ever taken drugs?"

"Have you?" The level of serious Scott used to ask that question had Kylee laying back in laughter.

"Get some sleep." The female teen rolled to her side as Melissa left the room, her laughter dying from her lips as they fell into silence once again.

"How is your mom?" Scott questioned, laying back beside her.

Kylee looked over at him her hazel eyes connecting with his chocolate one. She forced a smile on her face, one that didn't reach her eyes. He noticed it quickly, his brows twisting in worry, "she's getting worse."

Scott pulled the brunette closer, the female curling into him with her head on his chest. His familiar heartbeat echoed in her ear, relaxing her the way it has for years now. "I'm sorry to hear that." He didn't know what else to say, he truly didn't think there was anything else he could say on the subject.

The two stayed like that for a few minutes until Scott's laptop dinged. The male was to his feet quickly, sitting in his desk chair and bringing up the video chat. Stiles greeted them with a nerf gun that he shot at the screen, he flashed them his typical smile.

"What'd you find out?" Scott got straight to the point as Kylee came up behind him. She stood leaning over, holding the back of the chair as she watched Stiles.