NINETEEN

NINETEEN

Kylee looked up into her mirror, freezing for a moment when her eyes locked with his. She continued brushing through her hair a moment later, focusing on that instead of his eyes that seemed to be following her every move. His presence didn't exactly make sense to her at the moment, yet she chose to ignore it for the time being.

The silence seemed to stretch for hours, the female eventually making her way out of the bathroom and past him. She curled up in her blankets, watching as he seemed to follow her with his eyes. She wondered if he had a reason for being there, the two of them hadn't talked much lately. Growing bored of the silence, she spoke up, the question that had been on her mind weighing bricks. "Why'd you leave?"

He looked down at her in confusion, moving closer to her bed. He sat on the edge of it, seeming to understand what she was speaking of, "I had to."

Kylee shifted so she was sitting up, her hazel eyes locked with his green ones, "You didn't even wait to see if I was okay, if anyone had been okay. You two just left." Deep down she knew it was wrong to accuse him, no matter how true the words were. He had lost his blood family, everysingle one as far as he knew, while she had only lost her father and those she saw as family. She knew that if she was in his position, she more than likely would've done the same exact thing he did.

"My family died, we weren't sticking around for the aftermath." Derek answered the girl, eyes darting away from her. He didn't want to see the aftermath of the destruction he caused. He wasn't sure he would have been able to bare it, even now it was hard for him at times.

Kylee looked down at her finger, picking at the skin surrounding her thumb, "I thought I was family as well." It was barely a whisper, yet he heard it clear as day.

"You are family," he answered without a moment of hesitation. Sighing the werewolf, reached out to grab her hand, stopping the unhealthy habit she had developed over the years. "I was afraid, of seeing what had happened to you. I didn't want to see you so bruised and damaged that I'd never be able to picture the real you. If it wasn't for me, the fire never would've happened like it did. I didn't want to see what everyone had been telling me about Kate, and in the end that cost me more than anything."

She didn't believe the end of his little speech, and instead chose to ignore it. Kylee chuckled sarcastically, focusing on the beginning of his speech, "That worked out great." He still got to see the aftermath of the fire. He got to see just how badly it broke the brunette who still found herself waking most nights from nightmares. He got to see the girl whose anxiety went through the roof at the littlest things, the girl who had panic attacks when no one was around to see. The girl who cried herself to sleep most nights, who was terrified of fire and the heat that came with it. He got to see the girl who was terrified to be alone, but spent ninety percent of her day alone.