TWENTY TWO

TWENTY TWO

Kylee wasn't sure when the secret meetings began exactly. Only that they occurred to this day, and often left her smiling with flaming red cheeks as he disappeared from her house hours later.

He often came at night, slipping quietly into the house as she cleaned up dinner and worked on her homework, often multitasking to complete both tasks within a desired time frame. He would stand inside the doorway of the kitchen, watching her closely with an odd look in his eyes that she could never seem to place. He would sigh in content, before stepping into the threshold and placing himself at the island where her homework rested waiting to be completed. 

Rarely did it startle the girl, her hazel eyes darting towards him for a single moment before focusing on the final dish in the sink. When it had all first started she would jump, hazel eyes wide as they stared at his relaxed form. It amuses him, how easily she had adapted to him appearing and relaxing in her house after everything he had done and dealt with.

Tonight was no exception for the brunet who appeared in her kitchen, sitting moments later in front of her chemistry homework. He spared a single glance to it, deciding tonight wasn't the night he would be helping her with homework.

"Harris loves his homework," Kylee glanced his way, hazel eyes rolling in annoyance at the mention of her homework. Chemistry would be the death of her, well Harris would be more than likely.

"You'd think he would want to do something else with his life besides grading assignment after assignment for how many years now?" Kylee wondered aloud, rinsing the suds from her bowl she placed it on the dish rack beside the sink to dry.

Drying her hands, the brunette made her way towards the bar, grabbing her pencil from where it rolled slightly to continue with the assignment. "Well over 6 years now," she paused at his words, thoughts of chemistry disappearing as she got lost in the never ending list of what-ifs. She couldn't hear six years without a single memory arising.

"Have you ever wondered what if the fire never happened?" Derek visibly flinched at the sharp change in conversation. His green eyes growing dark as his mind switched to the horrors the two of them faced in their lives. "Like, what would be different, besides the obvious?"

Kylee was a curious girl, often times curiosity got you in trouble, but tonight she felt comfort in knowing this curiosity wouldn't be the one to kill her. "Occasionally," Derek finally answered moments later, no longer lost in the negative thoughts of the fire instead diving into the thoughts of the what-ifs.

"I think Cora would be the one I would get in trouble with," Kylee spoke softly. "She always had a more adventurous side than I did, plus she always tended to come off more unsympathetic than myself, many tended to thinking she was starting something when she spoke." Derek chuckled in agreement, watching as Kylee drifted far from here in her mind, a smile on her face. "She'd probably talk me into something we shouldn't be doing and give an extra large amount of sass to try and talk her way out of being in trouble."