Never wanting to let go.

A/n hey there! My friend @Eleabear said it was cruel that I left you guys on a double cliffhanger so here is a new chapter. Sorry if it is bad :( I am very tired.

The waiting game.

Everyone is sitting in the relatives’ room waiting for news on Nathan’s condition. Elli is sat closest to the door on the arm of the gradually degrading sofa near Anthony. She is desperately chewing on her finger nails reaching closer and closer to the stumps. Tom and Benedict are sat on the other sofa furthest near the window with a snoozing Emmeline Rose. The only sounds in the room are breathing of the tiny infant who has no idea what is going on. The door squeaks open and everyone looks up to see Lauren and Stephanie returning from trying to drag some information from the medical staff but the gloom on their faces and the shakes of their heads tells the rest of the group that they got nowhere. “I have a right to know what is wrong with my boyfriend…” Elli sniffles as a teardrop falls out of her eye and slides down her cheek. If Nate were here, he would catch the tear and swipe it away but not now. Not today.

The door opens again but this time a young nurse in a pale blue uniform enters with a look of professionalism on her face. Elli immediately stands. “You are friends of Nathan Ryder Smith are you not?” They nod eagerly and lean forward impatient to know the news. “Your friend has obviously been going through treatment for oesophageal cancer and has been coming in for regular treatment. He has managed to pick up a virus which has led on to infect his throat which was very delicate under the circumstances.”

“Is he going to be alright?” Tom asks as he rocks Emmy’s baby seat back and forth paternally.

“He should be absolutely fine and make a full recovery.” A large sound of the group exhaling fills the room in relief. “He will have to stay in a couple of days so we can drip feed him antibiotics and so we can cleanse his throat.” She explains, “He won’t be able to talk today because we had to do quite a vigorous cleaning procedure on his oesophagus and he will be in discomfort but tomorrow he should be as chatty as ever.”

“Thank you nurse.” Elli says, “Can I see him?”

“Yes of course.” The nurse smiles, “But I am afraid you cannot all go. Ward rules.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Tom states, “Elli you stay with Nate, we will go home.”

“I am staying with you Els.” Anthony inputs and Elli nods with a weak smile.

\~.~.~.~.~/

Twitter:

Tom Hiddleston (@twhiddleston): Get well soon to my dear friend and the babysitter on the planet, Nathan! Xxx

Tom locks his phone at chucks it on the other end of the sofa in which he is sitting on. He has just finished putting Emmy to bed and is now relaxing. What a day it has been! Benedict wanders in with two mugs of steaming, hot tea in his hands which he places on coasters on the coffee table before sitting in his armchair. “Okay what is bothering you then?” Tom questions looking over at his partner. “You have been acting distant from me all day.” Ben rubs his hands together nervously and peers up to look at Tom every so often.

“I want to start auditioning again.” He admits.

“Okay?”

“Don’t get me wrong, I love spending time with you and Emmeline but I miss acting.” He explains, “I miss the binds of paper with the cheap ink on which we call scripts. I miss the banter on set with fellow co-stars and crew. I miss the opportunity of pretending to be someone else.”

“I see.” Tom gulps, “I understand Ben. I miss it too. I do not mind, it is your life. You are an actor. One of the best if you don’t mind me saying.”

“I am not but thank you.” Benedict blushes, “You do come first though. Both of you.” He rises to his feet and shuffles a couple of steps before collapsing onto the sofa and snuggling up close to Tom so that his head is on his chest. “But first, before I go on any big sort of job I am going to marry you.” Tom’s eyes widen at this. He loves Ben and wants to get married as soon as possible but Vanessa’s words keep playing in his head about what would happen to Emmeline Rose if he married Ben. “If that is okay with you?” Benedict questions after Tom does not respond.

“Of course it is.” Tom chuckles and squeezes his partner tighter.

Never wanting to let go.

A/n thoughts? Please vote and comment!