Opening The Door

It is a sunny, winter morning inside and outside the London apartment. The aroma of coffee mixed with manly cologne fills the air of the home belonging to world famous actors, Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch. The pair have been friends since they worked on the set of War Horse back in 2011 and they have stayed friends ever since. When they were reunited for work on the film The SweetDevils they met a few crises involving a psychotic ex-girlfriend of Tom’s and a shed load of issues associated with it. Together they battled through the bad times and enjoyed the good which eventually led to them being more than friends. This was all a long time ago and now they are both waiting for the social worker who is bringing Tom’s baby daughter, Emmeline Rose, to the apartment to be united with them. Forever. “We are going to be a family for Christmas.” Tom chuckles under his breath while sitting on the sofa with Benedict sitting opposite him in the armchair. “We will have to buy a Christmas tree and decorate it to make it all perfect and beautiful. We will buy presents and have milk in front of the fire. It is all going to be perfect.” He rambles on excitedly which makes Ben grin.

“Everything is going to be perfect.” He agrees as there is a knock at the door. Their eyes meet as they both realise what is happening. They are about to become a proper family. “Ready?” Benedict questions reluctantly. He knows what an emotional wreck his partner has been lately, so he is making sure that he is there for him every step of the way.

“Ready.” Tom clarifies and gets to his feet. Benedict copies this action and also rises to his feet and follows Tom as they both walk towards the door confidently. Towards their future. They both pause when they reach the door briefly; Tom’s left hand on the door handle ready to turn. He takes a deep breath before turning the metal handle and opening the door in one swift movement to reveal a slightly plump, middle-aged woman with long dark hair and glasses. The woman has a fully packed baby bag on her right shoulder and a baby seat which she is carrying with her left hand. Inside the padded, chair is laying little Emmeline Rose with a soft blanket draped over her and small, pink teddy pressed up to her right side. She looks so sweet.

It is like time has stopped when Tom’s eyes meets the baby’s bright blue ones. The sound of the social worker brings everyone back to reality, “Mr Hiddleston? Mr Cumberbatch?” She almost questions. “My name is Anna, Emmeline’s social worker. Can I please come in?” Tom steps aside not being able to form words but luckily Benedict has already swooped in to rescue him from the current predicament.

“Please come in.” He greets, “Would you like a cup of tea or coffee?” Ben offers Anna kindly as everyone makes their way to the sofa.

“No thank you.” She replies, “We should probably make this little meeting as quick as possible for little Emmeline’s sake.” She smiles and places the baby carrier gently on the floor next to her spot in the armchair while shrugging off the baby bag which Benedict quickly retrieves and places to one side. Both Tom and Ben sit on the edge of the sofa, leaning forward slightly in awe of the tiny little bundle who is cooing away quite happily as she gnaws on the blanket. “Shall we begin?” She smiles and pulls out a file.