A Year and a Smidge Later

It is a year and a few months later (yes I know you read the text in the italics but because of the meaning of storytelling I think I have to tell you again) and the happy couple are living in a lovely house in the suburbs of London away from their friends but they feel like a proper family this way. They are not only people who have moved on. Stephanie decided about six months ago to go and pursue her career on Broadway after Lauren moved to Scotland for work a few months before that. Both of them are very happy and stay in touch constantly. Elli and Nate are now married with three kids. Obviously little Max who has just surpassed being eighteen months old but they also have their newly born twins; Isabella (Izzy) and Louise (Lulu). The readily growing family means that Nathan has got himself a steady job in the marketing department of the publicist company where Elli works which means that they have also moved into a house. Anthony and Darren however... let's not go there. It is too complicated and too unbelievable.

Emmeline Rose is now heading on to being two and half years old. Oh how time has flown. She is walking, talking (well she tries) and can count to ten which really excites Tom. She still has regular contact with her mother so to her she has three parents: two dads and one mum. She gets on really well Maximillian, so well in fact that Lauren has created a ship name for them – Emmeillian or Maximiline (it is still in debate).

Currently though, Benedict and Tom are due to go to an awards ceremony in Central London but their baby sitter has cancelled which has caused havoc. "How about we just bring her with us?" Benedict suggests while running his gelled fingers through his dark hair to create a quiff. In the reflection of the mirror he sees Tom's expression which reads as 'are you serious?' "What harm can be done? She was always going to hit the red carpet one day."

"I am pretty sure tonight's carpet is black..." Tom mumbles.

"Tom." Ben states sternly and turns to face his husband.

"Okay! Okay!" He waves his hands around, "But you will have to get her ready because I am not exactly presentable yet and the car arrives in about fifteen minutes." Ben scans his husband's image which currently consists of grey underpants and a smart, white suit shirt. His blond hair (the dye was destroying his hair so he decided to go back to the colour he was born with) is not even styled yet.

"Dada!" A small voice calls from next door making the pair laugh.

"I will get her dressed now." He replies and exits the room to Emmy's bedroom. Tom studies his reflection briefly in the mirror before he remembers the time and starts to rush around looking for trousers, a suit jacket, polished shoes, tie and cufflinks.

\~.~.~.~.~/

The black car pulls up to commotion of the carpet at the awards ceremony. Neither Tom nor Benedict are actually nominated for an award but Ben is presenting one. Emmeline's ears prick up to the sound of squealing and chattering outside the car which is loud enough to be heard from the inside easily. She looks quizzical. Tom hopes that she will not find the experience at all upsetting and will behave well. "Ready?" Benedict asks and Tom nods but before they exit the vehicle the Sherlock star smirks. "It is a red carpet." Tom rolls his eyes as the door is opened by his partner. The screaming only escalates when people catch a sight of the star that has just stood into view while Tom unbuckles Emmeline from her car seat and pecks her forehead before gently handing her over to Ben who is leaning in to receive her. Tom follows suit and exits the vehicle giving a quick wave to the crowd prior to cradling his child in his arms again. Cameras flash furiously to get a snap of the Hiddlesbatch family who are now standing in full view as the car drives off behind them.

"At least we know she hasn't got epilepsy..." Tom comments and Benedict chuckles. The pair's hands connect and they make their way down the carpet holding onto the toddler who has been dressed in a pale pink dress with a floral pattern on it. Her little booties have a rose on each foot near the ankle.