All About Nathan Ryder Smith

A/n Hi there! Thanks for all the support so far, here is the next chapter. Please enjoy!

The media:

Video - "MarvelWhoLock - A Story of Power (Everybody Wants To Rule The World)" by officially_sherlocked (i.e. me on YouTube) please check it out aha. My instagram is also officially_sherlocked 

GIF - Sebastian Stan and Jenna Coleman in Captain America who play Nathan Ryder Smith and Elinor Henson in this book

Nathan Ryder Smith is sitting up straight on the sofa in his apartment with the gurgling child next to him. He is twiddling his thumbs nervously because today he is just not feeling quite right. He cannot explain it to anyone or himself. He is looking after Emmeline Rose because the couple are out having some time to themselves and the girls – including his girlfriend Elli – have gone to the States to visit Anthony. But he decided to stay behind due to a persistent cough he has had for the last week or so. Whatever virus he has is a pain. It has caused him to lose a lot of weight and he has been finding it difficult to eat due to pain in his throat but he has covered it up to try and keep Ellie happy. He begins to cough again so he stands up and pulls a tissue out of his jean pocket which he coughs into to try and muffle the sound. When he pulls away the white, soft tissue that is when he sees it…the crimson splash marks. The blood.

Suddenly there is a knock at the door so Nate stuffs the tissue in his pocket and rushes over to open the door. Standing on the other side is Tom and Ben smiling. Nate doesn’t say anything, he has no words. “Is everything alright Nate?” Benedict asks looking very concerned. He responds with a nod and strolls back towards the sofa and picks up the small infant before passing her to Tom.

“Thanks Nate.” Tom smiles and walks away while carrying his child leaving just Nathan and Benedict.

“Are you everything is alright?” Ben asks again and places his hand on Nate’s arm in a comforting fashion. “You can trust me.”

“I just-” He sighs heavily which he regrets as the pain in his throat hits him, “I have just not been feeling very well. I am sure it is just a bug.” He explains and Ben lets his arm fall.

“You don’t believe that.” Benedict realises, “Do you want to talk?”

“Okay…” He trails, “I will come around to your apartment otherwise Tom will be wondering where you have gone.” Ben nods and lets Nathan pass after he shuts the door. They walk down the corridor towards Benedict’s apartment in silence…

\~.~.~.~.~/

A couple of days later and the couple are pacing around the flat nervously. They told Nathan a couple of days ago that he had to see a doctor and now they are waiting for him to return from some tests he is having at the hospital. He saw a doctor yesterday who referred him for further tests but he said that he didn’t want to tell the actors what the problem is until they are sure. There is a knock at the door and the pair stop pacing abruptly and look at each other before Tom calls, “Its open!” The door is pushed open and Nate is standing there on the verge of tears clutching a form in his hand. Tom rushes over to him to guide him into the flat whereas Benedict’s feet are planted into the floor. When Nate first told him about his mystery illness he did some research and now he is fearing the worst. Tom pulls Nathan over to the sofa and sits him down and finally Benedict can move and decides to sit in the armchair opposite them. After a few minutes of silence and glances between the two actors Tom timidly asks, “What did they say?”

“They said…” Nathan mumbles, “I’ve got the big C.” He states sadly, “I have a type oesophageal cancer…” Benedict runs his hand through his hair nervously and Tom pulls Nate into a bro hug.

“How?” Ben questions, “The average age of diagnosis is seventy two…”

“You’ve done research then.” The American realises and he nods in response, “They said it was rare but not unheard of.” He snivels, “On average, 40% of people with oesophageal cancer will live for one year after the diagnosis, and 13% will live for five years after the diagnosis. But they found mine pretty early so…I’ve got to stay optimistic.”

“And you are very young.”

“That too.” He puts his head in his eyes and the celebrity couple exchange a glance of sorrow.

“What happens next?” Tom asks as he rubs his hands together and Nathan lifts up his head.

“Drugs and chemotherapy before surgery.” He reels off like it is a shopping list. “And I-” He is interrupted by another knock on the door. Nathan dries his eyes and plasters on a smile as Benedict walks over and opens the door. On the other side are the girls and a very excited looking Elli.

“Hey guys. You’re back early!” Benedict tries to stay cheerful.

“Yes we know.” Stephanie replies in a matter-o-fact way but with a grin on her face.

“Elli had to see Nate!” Lauren adds, “Oh! And Anthony says hi and that he is very impressed with your style choices since he left.” Tom chuckles nervously and Elli bursts in and rushes up to her boyfriend who is putting on a brave face.

“Nate!” She exclaims and he wraps her into a hug protectively like it is the last time he is going to do it. The Benedict notices this and sighs sadly but thankfully no-one notices.

“Hey babe.” Nathan kisses her head and she pulls away still with a sparkling smile on her face. “What are you doing back?”

“I have something to tell you…” She looks so excited like a five year old about to open a present or a Sherlock fan being told there is a new series. “You are going to be a dad!” She yells with happiness and all the men stand completely stunned and exchange awkward looks.

“That is amazing babe.” Nate pipes up with a nervous smile on his face and the pair kiss lovingly. He has always wanted to be a dad but why now?