Walk Out

Tom wanders out of his apartment and down the corridor towards Nathan’s (and Elli’s) apartment. The news he has received this morning devastated him for his daughter and now all he wants to do is see her. Hold her. He knocks on the door reluctantly not looking forward to explaining the situation to Nate and his publicist, Elli. Benedict of course was annoyed that the day he had organised has been ruined but he did try not to show it and now he is packing to go to America to meet up with some important people at Marvel studios. The door is opened by Nate who looks a bit surprised to see Tom. “Tommy…hi!” He exclaims with his American accent flowing. “We thought we were looking after Emmeline today?” He questions still with a confused look plastered on his face.

“Hi Nate…yeah change of plan.” Tom states awkwardly while the other man raises his eyebrows.

“Oh…” Nate scratches the back of his head nervously, “She is not here.”

“What?!” Tom panics.

“Elli has taken her out.” He shifts from one foot to the other.

“Where has she taken her?!” The demands. Although he trusts Elli he currently feels vulnerable and out of the picture.

“To get some shots.”

“Shots?” Tom looks blank, “Like vaccinations?”

“Yeah.” Nathan confirms and before Tom could speak he is cutting him off, “Because Elli is your publicist the doctor surgery phoned her cell phone about some shot that Emmeline needs to have because she is a babe.” Tom continues to stare blankly at his friend trying to process the information just given to him.

“So…” He begins before taking a sharp intake of breath. “Elli has taken my daughter to get a vaccination without my permission. Why is it not me? I am the bloody father!”

“She is technically a guardian so…” Nate mutters but then regrets it when he sees the fuming man in front of him, “Anyway we talked about it.”

“We?!” Tom yells with red rising to his cheeks, “Who was involved in this decision making?”

“Elli, myself and Ben.” Nate stutters nervously and then adds, “It’s just a vaccination; I don’t understand what the big deal is…”

“Yes!” He fumes, “It is my daughter’s vaccination! You are not her parent, Elli is not and neither is Benedict!” He roars before someone clears their throat behind him. Tom turns to see Ben standing there looking sad. Benedict suddenly turns and runs back to the apartment. “Ben!” Tom calls as he rushes after him leaving Nate stranded.

Benedict paces around the apartment looking extremely angry. “Ben I am so sorry.” Tom apologises while looking at his feet.

“I was trying to give you a nice day…” Benedict trails sadly, “All I have ever done is love you and you said that Emmeline Rose was as much my daughter as yours.” He rants as he slumps onto the sofa. “Do you love me?”

“Of course I do!” Ben shakes his head.

“You never talk to me about stuff like you used to…” Tom takes a seat next to him and attempts to grasp his hand but he pulls away.

“I didn’t want you to get bored of me and leave because of my mental state and Emmy…” Tom pipes up after a few minutes. “I do love you…more than anything!”

“Then why didn’t you tell me that you have stopped taking your medication!” He screams while getting to his feet, glaring at his partner. “And you have been drinking in secret!” He rushes over to the coat stand and yanks of his jacket. Slipping on his jacket he clears his throat, “I am taking a sabbatical.”

“What where?” Tom asks with dread.

“America. I am going to stay with some friends after my meeting with Marvel.”

“To get away from me…”

“Maybe yes!” Ben says harshly and looks sad again, “See you Tom.” He states before leaving the apartment. The door slamming behind him.