Chapter 17

Back when Bakugo tried to jump Izuku, the rest of the class were watching closely. Well, most of them were.

"Wah! He almost got the jump on him!" Mineta exclaimed, "What kind of man pulls cheap crap like that?"

Although annoyed with Bakugo as a person, Karma stood, glaring down at the diaper-costumed midget, his voice laced with venom and authority, "He's not stupid. He used a viable strategy. Villainy. He's playing his part. Acted like a villain would."

"B-But, Midoriya dodged it! I-i-i-it didn't work!" Mineta tried firing back, his face screaming the emotions of "fear" and "cowardliness."

"That's because Izuku isn't like everyone else. Him, Karma~kun, and I aren't stupid or unguarded like you guys," Nagisa butted in. Although he didn't like to be part of conflict, he would do so to defend a friend, especially if they were from Class 3-E.

To Karma and Nagisa, his words were simply truth, but it was taken as an insult by everyone else. It wasn't meant to be that way though. It was simply Nagisa explaining why Bakugo's sneak attack had failed...

"That's right! I've analyzed a lot of heroes, you included!" I wanted to know and learn everything Izuku yelled loud enough that it had been able to be heard through the earpiece, "You can call me Deku, but I'm not the same useless, defenseless kid you once knew! You hear that? I've changed! From now on, Deku is the name of a hero!"

Gasps were heard as those words sunk in. Nagisa and Karma smiled, remembering how he decided to change the meaning of "deku."

~flashback~

"Hey Izuku, I have a question," Koro~sensei called. Izuku turned around to face his teacher.

"Yes?"

"Do you have any nicknames from people that you knew before 3-E and myself?" Koro~sensei inquired. Izuku lowered his head, his hair creating a shadow to cover his eyes.

"Y-Yeah. Um, an old friend used to call me 'Deku' for the fact that I don't have a quirk and still wanted to be a hero." Izuku replied.

"I think that you can be a hero. Besides, Deku sounds like 'It's possible! You can do it!' to me!" Koro~sensei encouraged. Izuku lifted his head with tears streaming down his face.

"Ah! I didn't mean to make you cry!" Koro~sensei panicked. Izuku laughed, shaking his head as he used his sleeve to wipe his eyes.

"No. No. You're fine. They're tears of happiness. No one had told me that they believed in me." Izuku explained, a small smile gracing his lips. Koro~sensei nodded calming himself and his tentacles becoming docile and not flailing around.

The rest of 3-E smiled at the exchange as they began walking in and hugging Izuku, each giving their own words of encouragement and comfort. That day, Izuku saw the insulting nickname as something positive. Something motivational to him and his dream.

~End of Flashback~

"Izu~kun's got a long way to go, but he will definitely make it to his dream. He will become the hero we believe he can become," Nagisa said, Karma smiling as he looked down at his boyfriend who was watching Izuku and Bakugo fight.

"Of course he will. It's Izuku after all. The top assassin of 3-E. The one we know will be there for everyone." Karma added, smiling as he made eye contact with Nagisa before turning his attention back to the fight.

'You can do it Izuku. We know you can.'