Part One: Chapter Ten

The drive back to the Sanctuary was awkard and long, as there were only two seats in this van, and Simon drove. So, (Y/N) either had to sit on the floor or in Negan's lap. No matter how hard she protested, he insisted she sit on his lap, so she did. He kept shifting his legs so she would feel...more of him. Embarassed, her face flushed red as he chuckled. "Why'd you push him like that?" She asked, leaning back, her head collasping on his shoulder. He whispered in her ear, "Because it's fun."

"...You shouldn't." She said, her hair to his face. He turned his head the other way, spitting some of her hair out. "Why's that?" He used the tone he used to bother Rick. "My dad's a scary fucking man, trust me. It's not going to end well." She narrowed her eyes. Her dad truly did terrify her sometimes. She remembered the time he literally bit somebody's neck out the second they threatenend his children.

Negan scoffed and laughed loudly. She could feel his stomach rising and falling against her back. "Yeah, yeah, laugh now. Don't come crying to me when he fucking kills you." Her tone was serious, but she was mostly joking. Sadly, Negan didn't pick up on that. Leaning to the right, she fell out of the van, letting out a scream, but was caught by Negan's hand. "Don't come crying to me when you fall outta the damn van!" He said, a chuckle rising in his throat. Simon instinctively slammed the breaks, the trucks and vans behind them screeching to a stop as well. Negan turned to him with a glare, "I did not say stop the vehicle, in fact, speed it the fuck up!" Simon nodded and began driving faster.

"Negan, you aren't fucking funny! Pull me up!" (Y/N) yelled, slowly looking over her shoulder, the ground flashing past her. She would fall straight on her back and that would probably do some damage. Her other hand gripped the edge of the van floor, her nails digging into it. Her legs bent so the bottom of her boots could stabilize herself better. "I don't think you're funny either, jokin' about how he's gonna kill me. No ma'am, that was not funny at all." he said, pro-longing her stay outside the truck. "I'd like you to apologize. Now, (Y/N)." He said, his voice becoming serious at the end of his sentence. His hand slightly slipped, making her breath quicker. "Pull me up!" She begged more than yelled.

"Apologize." He said in a sing-song tone. Just as she had thought he would never hurt her and they made progress with their relationship. After seeing him handle her father, and this... she knew there was never any getting through to him.

"My arm's gettin' tired." The same sing-song tone.

"Okay, okay!" She took a breath, blowing it out, she spoke in a calm tone, "I'm sincerely sorry, Negan."

"For?" He asked, searching her face, which was covered by the wind blowing her hair over.

"For hurting your feelings, because you're so incompetently stupid that you can't take a joke, you narcissistic asshole." Before he could drop her, she pushed off the chair, flying out of the van. But, Negan didn't loose his grip for a second, sending him flailing out as well. He did a flip over her in the air, landing on his back, finally letting go of her arm.

They both skid to a stop, burns on their arms and legs and any exposed skin. (Y/N) wheezed hard, her head pounding.

"What the shit..." He managed out, making it sound more like a statememt than a question. Wheezing, she slowly stood up, her body aching. Her back had mostly broken her fall, leavin burns and cuts all over her arms and back, though. The vans screeched to a stop, men running back for their leader. "Seatbelt, darlin'." (Y/N) whispered as he wheezed on the floor. She glanced back, running into the woods with every fiber of energy in her body just as men caught up to Negan.

"I'm fine, go get her!" He wheezed angrily, a coughing fit after. Dwight specifically ran after her, pushing past the trees. He was right on her tail when she glanced back for a second, and tripped over a tree root, sending her flying. But she didn't find the ground. Toppling over a ridge and rolling down, her ankle caught on the root still, she couldn't hear anything over her own body tumbling. She did hear something snap, and she prayed to god it was the vine and not her body. Screaming in pain, her back rammed into a rock. She groaned. "Fuck!" She yelled, Dwight looking down at her, laughing. "Bad luck."

The scratches on her face began to bleed, sending dark red streaks down her face. "(Y/N), (Y/N)...I can't believe you did that after all we've been through..." She heard a familiar, almost playful voice say. Of course it was Negan. As he appeared over the ridge with Lucille in his hand, he pointed to her with Lucille, "We should leave you there."

"Do it, I don't give a fuck."

"You will when you seen those walkers coming for you."

She turned her head around to see three walkers staggering to her, snarling and snapping their jaws. "Oh, fuck." She said to herself, fighting the pain, she pushed her self onto her feet. Her back ached in pain, she felt like she could pass out if not for the adrenaline from the walkers nearing her. Stumbling on her feet, she looked around for anything to defend herself with. She took a step, but felt a tug on her ankle. Looking behind her, her leg was tangled in a root.

What the hell snapped, then?

"God damn it." She murmured, her heart rate increasing.

Hearing Negan chuckle uptop, she glared at him when he spoke again. "Now, if I come down there and help you, you'll owe me, right?"

"...Right."

"Alright, (Y/N), prepare yourself!"

Negan slid down with Lucille in his hand, almost too gracefully for such a big man such as himself. Sliding past her, he wacked the first walker as hard as he could across the face, dropping it. The second really tried to reach for him, in response, he elbowed it before smacking it, its head sliding right off. The third had snuck around them, getting a good grip on (Y/N)'s untangled ankle, dragging her closer to it. She screamed, helplessly kicking at it as its snapping jaws, clawing at the mud and leaves behind her. Her right hand was on fire, and she realized why. Her pinkie finger had snapped, the top half bent backwards. Negan spun around, bringing his bat down on it's head, blood and brains splattering all over (Y/N)'s face and clothes. Well, Negan's clothes.

Trembling slightly, Negan slowly lifted the bloodied Lucille, chuckling. "Damn! What a rush!" He yelled, bouncing on his words. He looked up at Dwight. "Dwigthy boy, find us a way back up there, why don't ya?" He smiled. Dwight started to look around and nodded before walking off.

"You got it, boss." He said, scouting the crater. Negan turned to (Y/N), his smile dropping when he saw her trembling and her shakey hand clawing at her tangled leg while she clutched her other hand to her chest, her finger swollen. She looked up at him, which he just stared at her blankly. She finally ripped the vines off, the blood rushing back to her leg. She sighed shakily, her hands pressing on the rock to get her up. "Alright, come on." He said, offering her a hand.

She took his hand, his right hand, as Lucille was in his non-gloved hand. He yanked her up, her body jolting up. She didn't expect such a force. Chuckling, he started walking over to where Dwight was waving from, her hand in his. "You can walk up from here, boss!" He called. "Thank you, Dwight." Negan winked and tilted his head to Dwight.

(Y/N) stayed silent as she trailed behind him, pratically dragging her legs. She felt oddly numb, she didn't even realize how much she was shaking. "I can feel you tremblin', doll."

"What do you want me to do about that?" She snapped, looking at him with fiery eyes.

"I just saved your goddamn life. You're only alive because I'm lettin' you." He scoffed, and stopped walking. She kept walking, his arm trailing behind her and pulling her to a stop. She shook her head and turned to him.

"I'm sorry...can we just go home?" She had only realized what she said after she said it. She didn't mean his home, of course, she meant Alexandria. But she pressed her lips together, not mentioning another word. He smiled at that. "Of course, love."

The different choice of words made her feel some type of way. Butterflies? In her stomach? Surely not, she didn't like him one bit...right?

So what, he just saved you and he's still holding your hand, but...BUT, he's still the enemy, (Y/N).

She shouldn't have to remind herself about what he truly is. She sighed deeply, squeezing his hand tighter. As they tramped through the mud and leaves of the thick forest brush, she couldn't help but steal glances at him, catching him looking back at her. She turned her head in the other direction, her cheeks hot.