Part One: Chapter Twenty-Two

"No, it was me!" Rosita screamed out, but it was too late. "No!"

A gunshot rang out. Saviors nearby steadied themselves, pointing their guns at anyone who flinched, which was everyone. Eugene craddled his arms close to his chest, perhaps to try and stop them from shaking, or to hide his terrified expression. Gabriel held his hands over his head, barely containing the tears as Tara stood, shocked, her jaw open and her heavy eyebrows arched downwards. Alexandrians nearby paced with hands over their mouths and some cried, others stared in disbelief, as some were too shocked to even move.

(Y/N)'s ears rang from the gunshot being so nearby. She looked over the crowd in a daze, wondering who was shot. No one was on the ground. Where did Arat even point the gun? She couldn't recall which direction, it all happend so fast. She looked over at Carl on the porch, her heart beating out of her chest. Wasn't someone next to him? Oh, god. She could only see the top of his head over the railing. Is he okay?

He was hunched over something...someone. (Y/N) remembered now. Olivia. A single bullet through her cheek that shattered her glasses, Olivia now laid dead on the porch. (Y/N) couldn't decide if Arat had aimed at her, or just blindly shot. Deep down, she was grateful it was Olivia instead of Carl. What if it had been Carl? They would all be dead as soon as her father appeared.

Negan stood up straighter, a smile on his face as Rick did appear with Aaron over his shoulder. Eric took Aaron's arm from Rick and slung it over his own shoulders, and Rick began hastily walking up. "We had an agreement!" He said, trying to stay calm, but anger built up in his tone.

"Rick!" Negan said hoarsly, slowly pacing around to meet Rick. "Look, everybody, it's Rick!" He exclaimed, like a child coming home after a long day of school to see his mother. A big smile stuck on his face, Lucille in his hand, Rick's eyes found his daughter's, and they could only stare at each other before (Y/N) pulled away from the suffocating eye contact. "Ah, your people are making me lose my voice, doin' all this yelling." Negan said. He sounded as if he was tattling.

Rick slightly panted, looking around the crowd. He was probably looking for a body. He found it, and only breifely stopped on Spencer's body before looking elsewhere, anywhere else, advoiding eye contact with Negan.

"Rick...how about a "thank you"?" Negan lowered his voice, taking a step towards Rick with only one foot, leaving the other behind, but then he shifted back onto his back foot, so he really wemt no where. "I mean, look, I know we started this relationship with me beatin' the holy hell out of your friends and because of that, we're never gonna sit around and braid each other's hair or share our deepest, darkest secrets, but how about a little credit?" He said more than asked, bouncing on his words, doing everything typical for Negan. The condencending tone made (Y/N) want to smack him.

"I just bent over backwards to show you how reasonable I am!" Negan paused, leaning back and pointing in the general direction of Carl. "Your kid -- he hid in one of my trucks and machine-gunned a bunch of my men down, and I brought him home, safe and sound," Negan leaned in close to Rick as Rick turned around, giving a confused, yet angry type of look to Carl, "and I fed him spaghetti."

Carl rose over the railing of the porch, the hole where his eye should have been glistened in the sunlight, and not in a good way. His bottom lip quivered slightly, but he clenched his jaw, holding eye contact with his dad. "Another one of your people," Negan gestured to Spencer, which pulled Rick's attention to Spencer once more, then back to Negan, "well, he wanted me to kill you and put him in charge. I took him out...for you." Negan pointed at Rick for a second before Rick broke eye contact, looking back at Spencer's dead, hunched body, but anyone could tell his mind was racing far away from this scene.

(Y/N) held her shaking arms still, biting her tongue so that her bottom lip would stop quivering. Negan glanced at her, a twisted smile on his face flashed before he looked back at her father and began speaking again. "And another one, here," He gestured to Rosita, but Rick didn't turn around, "she shot Lucille, trying to kill me just now, so I gave you one less mouth to feed."