of hockey games and bathroom charades

a/n: even if you're not, just imagine you're John's age for the sake of all my stories. also don't judge my writing of the game, i've never been to an ice hockey game and I tried my best :)

your pov

in the mirror Lauren applies another layer of lipgloss to her lips before directing her eyes to the reflection of me behind her with a look of worry. beside me on Lauren's bed is Kenzie, who's focused on messing with her hair in the mirror.

I raise my eyebrows and give Lauren a knowing smile while moving to hang my legs over the side of the mattress and lean back on my hands. "look y/n," she begins, turning around and screwing the lid back on the lipgloss tube. "I just wanna make sure that you're really, really comfortable with this. it's only been a week since . . . everything that happened. you don't have to force the normalcy, it'll come with time." her voice is soothing and reassuring, which I appreciate. but i'm so close to laughing out loud at the irony.

still, I keep playing along. "I swear, i'll be fine, Laur. John and I separated, it's not the end of my life. and we're still on good terms." I explain with as little hesitation as I can while i'm lying through my teeth. yeah, it's true that we broke up, and yeah, we're on good terms. very good terms.

meaning that, unknown to everyone else, Johnny and I have been back together for three days out of the past seven. she drops her hands to her sides and lets out a breath. "if you're sure." I flash her another, softer smile, 'till Kenzie catches our attention.

"I, for one, think it's great that you're coming with us. you're still friends with all of us. and, so what if Johnny's going to be there? if anything, y/n, this is your moment to show him exactly what he's missing." the corners of her lips twist into a devious smirk. "i'll tell you what's gonna happen. you're gonna call shotgun in his car. sit looking confident and sexy in his passengers seat, and then, you'll sit next to him at the hockey game. everyone knows that John loves ice hockey, so we'll be able to see how flustered and frustrated he gets." Kenzie doesn't even contemplate our confused expressions. "it'll be great. trust me, y/n. you look hot, and i'm willing to bet he would agree." she wiggles her fingers towards me in a teasing manner, making me laugh.

when I turn back to Lauren she's sitting at her desk and looks even more on edge than before. "Kenz, there are alternative ways to deal with breakups, y'know." the youngest Orlando says and shakes her head. her obvious concern, not just for me, but for her brother warmed my heart. and, honestly, made me feel a little guilty for lying to her face.

Kenzie, however, didn't seem convinced. "Laur, do you remember, like, two weeks ago? he smashed a pie pan filled with whipped cream in your face. then, he showed you the second whipped cream filled pie pan, told you that you could do the same to him so you'd be even and then proceeded to smash that one in your face." she couldn't even finish, what i'm guessing, was about to be a whole speech because Lauren suddenly slams her hand down on her desk and stands up with a vengeful look.

"i'm so in." Lauren whispers in a harsh tone and looks at us with a deceitful smile that almost matches Kenzie's.

I hadn't even realized that i've yet to give any input on Kenzie's plan, until they both look at me expectedly. "yeah, lets do this." I agree and giggle at their squeals of excitement. though they didn't know it, this plan wouldn't do Johnny too much harm. at most, it'll simultaneously agitate him and make him smile like a little kid.

for another ten minutes we sit around Lauren's room, taking pictures of each other in front of her picture wall, making TikToks, and watching some.

John texted me somewhere within that timeframe asking if I wanted a jacket or hoodie, because he'd seen me walk into his house, an hour or so ago, with neither. he had to remind me that it would be pretty cold in the arena. I texted back a blushing smiley face, followed by my choice of a jacket. not long after a knock sounds at her bedroom door and Lauren calls them in.