this damned school play pt. 3

your pov / thursday

I woke up beyond happy this morning. at the moment everything around me was aligned. meaning, i'm happy with all aspects of my life.

in terms of family, they're great. happy parents, happy life. they're so glad that i've put myself out there by auditioning. my friends are great too. they've been very supportive about the play, assuring me that even if it's not Juliet, i'll get a role. but all of them are convinced i'll get the role of Juliet, all the while making jokes and assumptions about who might be Romeo.

John -- a huge part of my life -- is, like, amazing. he's literally my favorite person to be around. yesterday, after he finished his math test we met up at our spot. for hours we laid side by side on a blanket of his that I love. it was quiet at times, I would be really into my book and he'd be on a roll writing in his songbook. I enjoyed listening to him humming the melody of whatever song he's working on; he never tells me. then, in between the quiet times, we'd have small conversations. about where we might be in five or ten years, what kind of pets we might have and what we want to do as a profession.

we didn't part ways until eight-thirty last night, after dark hit.

today, the casting list for Romeo and Juliet is supposed to be posted on the bulletin board in the main hallway. I couldn't have been more excited while I was getting dressed, or riding with the Orlando's in the car.

when John pulled into the parking lot I decided to drop off my backpack, and then check the bulletin board and go to class. Lauren and Maddie wished me luck, and John just smiled because he wished me good luck enough last night.

at my locker, I pulled the books I needed for first and second period out and sat the rest neatly at the top. I practically skipped to the main hall. most of the kids have cleared out by now, just a few stood -- probably looking at the casting list. Johnny came to walk with me, holding his books.

the couple of kids made room and my eyes found the white printed paper. at the op it read: School Play: Romeo and Juliet Casting. I tried to brace my self for what I was about to read, good or bad.

whispers could be heard coming from the few the kids surrounding me and John, but I didn't think anything of it until he himself gasped. now, my eyes were searching for . . .

Juliet Capulet as Y/N L/N

okay, wow. that's good news, really good news. my hearts pounding so hard i'm afraid someone might hear it. is that why everyone's whispering? had it shocked Johnny that much? I thought he'd have more- and then I saw it.

Romeo Montague as Johnny Orlando

my hearts constant thumping stopped abruptly and my eyes widened to saucers. was I seeing this right? there's absolutely no way. this had to have been one hell of a typo. he's not even into acting, he's a singer. they're two completely different things.

"but . . . you- you didn't even audition-" I started, though when our eyes connected I knew I was just in denial. "w-when did you- why didn't you tell me?" all of these emotions flooded my body at once. confusion first, then betrayal, and finally, anger. how dare he? he's basically put our whole friendship- relationship out there now. I didn't want that, I wanted our relationship for us.

he stared into my eyes with an expression I couldn't read, like he was trying to send me a message. maybe if I wasn't as furious as I am in this moment I could understand what he's trying to tell me. usually we could do that, read what the other was thinking, simply through a look. apparently, it's not easy when my senses are overthrown with fury.