familiarity pt. 3

your pov

just as I looked back from John's retreating form Annie squealed. "did Johnny just wink at you?"

"w-what? no," I trailed off, while she gave me a look. "maybe?" I squeaked. "okay! yes he did." I was covering my  face with my hands to hide the blood rushing to my cheeks for the  millionth time today.

"well come on then," she says taking my  wrist and pulling my hand away from my face. "get out of those clothes  so you can amaze him."

laughing at the way she wiggled her eyebrows, I pulled the towels from the bag me and Johnny had packed. "give me a second to lay out our towels." I straightened mine out next  to Annie's and her stuff, then laying his out next to Asher's. ironically ours were still next to each other. maybe i'd done it subconsciously? I thought.

leaving the waters in the bag -to keep them as cold as possible- I unbuttoned my shorts, pushing them down my legs and tossed them into the bag. then, pulling my shirt over my head and throwing them on top the shorts. fixing my hair as best as possible without a mirror or brush I looked at Annie. "how do I look?" I asked, adjusting my bikini top again.

"y/n, you look sexy as hell." Annie assured me. "don't worry, he's obviously so into you." she emphasizes, and I nod a little.

oh you have no idea. I thought, biting my lip before she gripped my forearm. "they're coming!" she whisper-shouted at me and I look over my shoulder at him and Asher basically roughhousing their way over to us.

he's wearing dark blue swim shorts, and I let my eyes travel up his legs to his torso. he looked better shirtless than any other boy i've met his age. I noticed that he hasn't looked at  me yet, so I look away from them as my heart started to race.

how had we managed to match bathing suits?  "would you look at that!" Asher broke me from my thoughts. "you two are matching, what a nice touch. don't you think, baby?" he asks going up and kissing Annie's cheek.

my eyes darted back to John, only to see him  carefully looking me over. the action didn't make me insecure or nervous, but giddy. his jaw was almost slack, until his eyes met mine  and he closed his mouth slowly. a smile played on my lips as I pushed his shoulder lightly and a smile formed on his too.

"we didn't plan this." I pointed out, looking back at the couple. the first completely honest statement to come out of my mouth to them.

John nodded beside me, so close his arm was  against mine. "nope. great minds just think alike, I guess." he shrugged, looking back at me with the smirk I was growing too fond of.

"mhm," I agreed. "great minds."

Annie raised a questioning brow, obviously not believing us but stayed quiet until Asher broke the silence. "okay, so babe you're gonna tan for a little longer right?"

she looked up at him with a smile and nodded. "yeah Ash, you okay with that?" Annie asked, snaking her arms around his neck.

"of course baby, whatever you want." Asher said and pulled her in for a kiss.

leaning into Johnny, I nodded towards them.  "we're gonna be better than that, right?" I whispered, making sure they couldn't hear.

he laughed under his breath. "yeah, I sure hope so."

I watched with a small smile on my face as  Annie and Asher had a moment. their foreheads pressed together, and Annie giggling at something he'd whispered to her. that was until I felt John's gaze on me- again.

"what?" I asked. "didn't get a good enough look the first time?" my voice was quiet and I quirked my eyebrow at him.

a shiver went down my spine as he lent down,  closer to me and his lips hovered over my ear. "just taking some mental polaroids, princess." Johnny pulled away before either of them could see.