familiarity

your pov / friday 6:47pm

while f/n added more powered blush to her cheeks I looked my outfit over in the mirror a last time. the high-waisted jeans clung to my legs, bringing out my curves in all the right ways. rips were spread out on each leg, unevenly. I had a black, cropped t-shirt that stopped right before my bellybutton along with my hightop vans that have flames on the sides.

she put the compact and brush down on the vanity, looking over at me, "y/n, don't overthink it. you look great and who knows, maybe you'll get a man tonight."

we were attending a high school house party. certainly not my first one, but I still tended to get nervous. there was going to be alcohol, probably weed and absolutely no adult supervision.

I smiled over at her, "thanks, f/n. but i'm not sure anyone will take interest in me."

"who wouldn't?" she scoffed, making me laugh, "are you ready to go?"

nodding, I grabbed my phone off the charger and we left my room. at the bottom of the stairs she spoke again, "hey, where are your parents?"

"they're on another business trip out of town, and they left me $200! isn't that crazy?" I asked, "they're only gonna be gone until Monday, but I think they feel bad leaving me home alone all the time. i'm not complaining though."

"I wouldn't either," f/n laughed, "the party is just down the block, you wanna walk instead of paying for an uber?"

without a second thought I replied, "yeah."

we stepped out of my house, and I made sure to lock the door before we started down the sidewalk.

the sun was just starting to set and the sky was filled with an array of pinks, oranges and purples. clouds scattered all over, but for the most part the sky was clear.

f/n's phone dinged and she pulled it out to check the notification. her squeal let me know it was a text from her boyfriend, "what'd he say?"

"hey baby, i'm at the party now. just wanted to let you know and stay safe. kissy face emoji." she read it out to me and I laughed a little.

while she typed a response I smiled to myself, "you guys are too cute. I wish to have something so precious."

we turned the corner at the end of the street and saw the party in the distance, "y/n, you'll find love. you're not like a lost soul or anything." she chuckled, stuffing her phone back into her pocket.

"yeah," I sighed, "I know, i'm just super impatient."

f/n poked my side making me giggle, "a trait that someday a great boy will love about you."

stopping in front of the house, music was blasting from inside and we could see different colored lights shining out of the windows.

she linked her arm with mine, "come on y/n, don't get nervous now." basically dragging me up the walkway and onto the porch she swung the door open.

the scent of pot and cheep beer immediately filled my nose and my face scrunched up. walking deeper into the crowd of teens f/n spotted her boyfriend and gave me a pleading look, "yeah, go ahead. i'm gonna go find a drink."

"thank you so much y/n," she smiled, hugging me around my waist and running off to him.

I diverted my eyes from them, landing directly on a boy across the room. he leaned against the wall with a red solo cup in hand, alone. raking my eyes up his body and onto his face I nearly choked on air, seeing his eyes already on me.

the eye contact he kept with me had my heart pounding. he seemed almost familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it. maybe i'd seen him in school?