Somewhere Boring Called Paris

I thought the day Lana married Declan would've been one of the hardest days in my life, but watching the person you're in love with breaking down because of their relationship was no comparison

It hurt because if she was in love with me; I'll never make her feel that way. Four years passed since I acquainted myself with Declan, yet I couldn't understand any of his actions. For a second, I had hoped he would never cause her to break down again, but here we were.

Lana was hurt.

And I needed to pick up the pieces.

Her eyes were red-rimmed, teary, hurt. There's a mountain of pain in them and I wanted to punch Declan to mars for doing this to her. She's barely uttered a word for the past hours as we sat in her father's restaurant. I texted Catalina and Meadow since I had my final shift tonight, and didn't want Lana moping on her own.

Since it was a weekday, the restaurant wasn't as busy as usual. However, besides the slow business, Mr. Hart came at my vegetable slices multiple times during the shift. My mind was plagued with Lana's broken state; cooking was the least of my worries. All I wanted was to be next to her, make her laugh, smile, talk, literally anything besides staring at the wall.

Quickly, I glimpsed at the clock to see our shift coming to a close. I wondered if Freddie was already prepping the food for tomorrow. I didn't want to stay an extra two hours at work when I had a flight to catch earlier in the morning. Pulling my chef hat off, I marched over to the door leading to the front bar.

"Lana," Mr. Hart said, "Aren't you supposed to be at home? It's time to make dinner for your husband."

Lana sighed heavily. "It's fine. Declan isn't coming home. There's nothing for me to do."

"Lana. . ." he exhaled, the sound of his knife clashed against the wooden surface. "Big-mouth Ambrose told me what happened."

My cheeks turned bright pink. It's awkward listening in on a conversation only to hear yourself being mentioned. Besides, I told Mr. Hart in confidence, since I knew he would badger Lana with questions if he remained in the dark.

"I'm not telling you not to fight, but a man's workplace is a battlefield. You went to his office and picked a fight just because he's working hard and unable to come home? It's not like he's at a strip club." I cracked the door slightly, watching as Lana's gaze fell down to her lap. "That's no reason for a wife to demean her husband. It's pitiful."

My jaw clenched as I tried to diffuse the burning feeling in my chest.

"Stop thinking only of yourself and put yourself in his shoes instead," her father advised.

Accidentally, I slammed the door against the wall as I couldn't standby any longer and listened to Lana getting criticized for an issue that wasn't solely her fault. "Excuse me, Boss, but Lana is not the one to blame."