Feelings, Nerves and Yucky Things Like That

Birthdays

Birthdays.

For some people, they're one of the best days of their lives. All the attention, gifts, cake, moments with friends made for a perfect evening. But I didn't really have any of that. Maybe it was my fault for keeping my actual birthday confidential and declining Milo's ideas for a small party.

Colton had planned extravagant parties in the past; for my sixteenth birthday, he rented a nightclub, citrus dancers, and a giant elephant I could arrive in. My step-father brought a beautiful strapless black tulle princess ball gown with bedazzled jewels on the breast line.

I thought it would be one of the best days of my life... only to find out the truth concurred that night years later. Half the night I was searching for Colton, wanting to spend every waking moment with him, but he was nowhere. By the time the cake was cut, I had given up all hope of finding him and cried on the nightclub stairs away from everyone.

Colton emerged like a knight in shining armor riding a white horse acting as if he wasn't the reason my entire night was ruined. Like an idiot, I forgave him and we rode the horse somewhere private to talk about nonsense. Our future.

Something that only mattered to me...

Long story short, I hated birthdays.

Jab, jab, cross. Jab, cross, cross.

Sweat trickled into my eyes burning them, and I swiped my forearm over my face before slamming my fist into the punching bag again. Early sessions at the gym were my routine I resented having to change it. Whenever thoughts crept back into my head, I hit harder.

Too many fucking thoughts, too many fucking feelings.

Why were they resurfacing? Why was suddenly being around Ambrose messing with my head? I tripled texted the loser when I never had before. I actually hoped and waited for him to answer me. Yet, here I was upset about.

Jab, dodge, hook. Jab, jab, cross.

My arms burned and I welcomed the pain, welcomed the way it seared everything out of my brain. I should've fake-dated Ollie; maybe then I wouldn't be conflicted with this feeling. Why couldn't I shut off my humanity like Stefan had? I was able to seal away the things I felt for Wesley by pushing him away.

But something told me that wouldn't work in this situation...

There was nothing but strong resistance of the sand in the bag and the jolting impact that shocked up my arm and down my leg. Could I punch the bag straight off its chains? My phone vibrated causing my music to be replaced by my ringtone.

Who's calling me at this hour?

Unknown number.

With a shrug, I answered, "Hello?"

"D?" his voice caused goosebumps to emerge on my skin.

"C-Colton?" I stuttered. "Why are you c-calling me?"