One Drink, Two Drink, No Three

It's incredibly fascinating how quickly things changed

It's incredibly fascinating how quickly things changed. A week ago, I was engaged to Ambrose, a finalist in Competition of the Century, and most importantly, happy. Minutes became hours, hours became days, days became weeks, and before I knew it, I was right where I was when I got to Paris.

Lost, confused, afraid, and broken.

Sunlight swooshed through the windowsill, which sprinkled too much enthusiasm than I felt like. Groaning, I bent my neck away from the daylight and slowly dissolved into my dazed, sleepy state. Dreaming was the only way I could live in an imaginary world and avoid the reality of my life falling apart.

Just like that, a soul-shattering scream of terror filled the room, instantly causing my hands to cover my ears. I punched the couch in frustration as the wailing grew louder by the second, making my head ache like a motherfucker. This was my punishment for drinking three bottles of vodka instead of being a good girl.

I jolted forward, my fist clenching. "Holy shit! If you don't get that damn baby, Kasey, I might commit a crime."

"Hey!" Kasey thumped my head as she strolled past. "I would be moving faster if you didn't guilt me into drinking with you last night."

I narrowed my eyes into murderous slits. "Don't act like you didn't want some! I saw you eyeing the white claws I brought."

Kasey was already halfway to Darius, and before I knew it, silence filled the apartment, and my hibernation was making a return. My eyes shut as I sank back into the couch, snuggling into my pillow the only lover I'll ever have. The male species sucked. I didn't hate Ambrose, but I also hated him. Honestly, it made no fucking sense, but I hated him for making me fall in love with him and unable to go five seconds without thinking of him.

And his handsome, stupid face.

And fascinating personality to go along with it.

And his prodigious heart that I wished belonged to me.

Dang, it.

The waterworks were coming out, trickling down my cheeks to my quivering lips. One hundred and twenty-three points to heartbreak and zero to me because it's only been five hours since my last crying session.

My head jerked forward from the sound of a plastic container slamming down by my ears. With one eye open, I saw Kasey swaying a glass of water in her hand and the bottle of Advil on the coffee table.

"Davina." Kasey pouted. "Please tell me you're crying because your head hurts and not because of him."

After wiping my tears away, I grabbed the water from her grip and unscrewed the bottle of Advil. "Yeah. My head hurts like a motherfucker." But my heart ached like it's been repeatedly run over, especially when the memory of Ambrose carrying Lana darted through my mind.

Kasey sighed, her arms wiggling up and down for Darius's enjoyment. "Davina... When are you going to tell me what happened? You guys looked so happy last time you came here."