Unintentional Reveal

My nerves hummed with a building rage over that filthy idiot, smashing his lips into mine

My nerves hummed with a building rage over that filthy idiot, smashing his lips into mine. Apparently, it was a crime to enjoy yourself on the dancefloor without being attacked with lips. My flirtatious personality probably sent him the wrong signals, but that doesn't excuse his advances when I have a boyfriend.

Well, a fake one, but we had to keep the show alive.

Opposed to Angel's nasty smooch, I hadn't expected to see Ambrose pretending to act like an infuriated boyfriend. He almost played it too realistic that I started getting confused about whether or not his reaction was real. Warmth flooded in my icy chest to think a guy like Ambrose could possibly be jealous.

I raked my fingers through my hair. "Are you trying to get freaking murder?"

Ambrose's eyes widened. "All I thought was about how you didn't reciprocate the kiss, so I had to do something about it."

With a stupid smile on my face, I said, "You could've gotten seriously hurt. Angel is a professional boxer, he doesn't play around."

Ambrose shrugged. "Yeah, I'm sorry I overreacted. I just couldn't let him do that to you."

My heart melted more, but I tried my hardest not to let it show. It's brave of him to charge into a fight when everything was in favor of the other side. There hasn't been anyone with a genuine reason to fight for me. Throughout the years, I learned to fight for myself, but it didn't hurt to have someone else who cared about me.

"Thank you."

His eyes widened to the size of saucers. "Huh? Did I just hear you say thank you?"

I nodded shyly, feeling my cheeks blazing. "I did. And I'm not saying it again, so remember this day for the rest of your life!"

His flash from his cell phone nearly blinded me. "I'll document this day for the rest of my life," he teased, sticking out his tongue.

I scanned the dancefloor. "I hope they aren't still there. I still have the jitterbug running through my veins."

His hand reached out for mine. "I think I know a place where we can satisfy your dancing needs."

I scoffed, giving his surprisingly stylish suit a once-over. Damn, he cleaned up well. His hair tousled into perfect curls on his forehead. He weaved us through the crowd, tightening his hold on my hand. A few weeks, the feeling of his hand on mine felt like sandpaper, but now it evoked a different kind of feeling-- comfort like cuddles from my pets.

When Ambrose brought us to the staircase, I mentally groaned but followed Ambrose's pace since his hand was dead-locked on mine. With shaky breaths, we finally reached the hidden destination he randomly thought of.

The moon was a warm milky glow in the sky as if the sight of it could become a song in the eyes of anyone willing to raise their heads upward. The stars brought the velvet black sky to life, taking my breath away. Since it was nearly midnight, the wind had picked up, causing my body to shiver.