Everything Isn't Always What They Seem

The inside of Midnight Gym looked more like a warehouse than a place where people trained

The inside of Midnight Gym looked more like a warehouse than a place where people trained. After the brutal events that happened nearly a decade prior, my therapists recommended I released my feelings more healthily compared to my drinking. So I began training here for fun with my personal trainer.

My therapist suggested a gym with more high maintenance. But the quality gyms were in polluted areas where it was easy to be followed by cameras. This was something I wanted to keep private and away from the spotlight.

So I chose Midnight Gym.

Everything is made with industrial metal, from the black metallic floors to the thick steel beams along the roof. Shiny beige heavy bags hang from metal bars, each one empty, and thick, black straps suspended from the ceiling. One of them was ripped open, pouring out contains from inside; I'm betting someone had a really bad day today.

In the middle of the room was the main attraction: a reasonable-sized boxing ring with a faded blue canvas and red ropes.

"Meet my safe heaven," I announced, my voice echoing in the room.

"Nice to know you release your anger problems in a healthy way," Ambrose commented, as he glanced around the empty room.

My face scrunched up in annoyance. "Haha, very funny."

My trainer Max owned this small-town gym. Since we spent an hour together every day, we had grown fond of each other, though I totally could beat his ass in kickboxing. Our relationship wasn't something I liked putting a label on it; I stopped having friendships years ago when Ryler stabbed me in the back.

Since I was Leo's biggest client, I had perks such as an extra set of keys so I could come in whenever I wanted. Though I doubt he wanted someone other than myself in here. I trusted Ambrose was old enough not to break anything.

"So where do you wanna begin? I do suggest we leave the boxing ring for the end. We can end the night with a bang." I winked.

Ambrose shrugged. "Show me your normal routine."

My eyebrows pinched together. "You want to seriously work out in our Halloween costumes?"

He chuckled. "I'm not the one wearing a costume that clings to my body like tar."

"Nice to know you can't resist worshiping me," I playfully retorted, as I tied my hair into a ponytail. "Let's start with some stretching exercises so we don't end up with a bruised muscle."

We started with some basic stretches before moving to the weights. Ambrose took charge, and picked up a set of dumbbells for me, showing me the correct form acting like I don't have this drilled in my head already.

His eyes were on mine as I tried to lift my weights. He mirrored my movement, curling his biceps the way I curled mine. Unintentionally we were versus each other on who could do more reps. My breathing was controlled as I focused on surpassing him.