Phone Calls Linger

EIGHT MONTHS

EIGHT MONTHS

Success worked wonders. Sometimes, in circumstances, we couldn't understand why things turned out the way they did. In the moments when we least expected it, everything came to light.

The producers had to suffer the consequences of choosing Ryler over me. Her movie received the lowest scores on all the rating websites. Ryler trended on Twitter for days because of her horrendous acting in the movie. Everyone thought she should've stuck to reality shows instead of adventuring into a serious feature film.

Midnight Skyline was the most anticipated movie. The trailer released about a week ago, and critics were raving about it. I didn't want to toot my own horn, but critics and fans gushed about how perfect I was for the role. It wiped my worries from the past few months clean.

Carmen was a role completely out of my comfort zone. She was a young adult who experienced an immense amount of trauma in her childhood. Her only saving grace from falling into the deep end of depression was her one-year-old son. The movie's message was how much love a person had for another individual could drive them to do anything. Even if a future wasn't guaranteed.

"Davina!" Rolling my eyes, I stormed into his room, watching him grow frustrated with his tie. "I don't get how to work this tie. Can you please help me?"

"Sure, Wes. I wouldn't want you to choke yourself," I stated with an amused tone.

My fingers trailed underneath his collar, putting the tie through straight. Wesley curled his fingers around my baby hair until they formed a spiral. Shock surged through my veins as if I jumped in a bucket of ice water from Wesley, gently banging his head against mine.

"Happy twenty-seventh birthday, Davina!" Wesley singsonged, sporting the world's largest grin.

Realization dawned on me. "Oh, I forgot. Thank you."

His eyebrows furrowed. "How do you forget your own birthday?"

I shrugged. "It's easy to forget things when you don't have anyone to celebrate it with."

Wesley clutched his chest, displaying a pained expression. "You have me, you know? I know I'm not anywhere near Am-." My grip on the tie tightened on the first two letters. "Sorry. Him. But I'm here, and we can have some fun together."

"It isn't the same."

There wasn't a day that went by when I wouldn't wake up thinking about Ambrose and fell asleep watching our videos. Oddly, I'm grateful for the competition's youtube channel having a thirty-minute video of Davina and Ambrose's moments. When my videos weren't enough, I loved watching the montages of Ambrose gushing about me.

It brought me back to the days I was truly happy.

After making a decision that day, ignoring Lana's pleas to wait for Ambrose, I almost thought he would come chasing after me. Like in those rom-com films, Ambrose always made me watch. But he never showed up. Two days after I arrived in France, he deactivated all his social media, leaving me with memories.