Marshmellows, Sticks, and Confused Hearts

Camping wasn't something on my bucket list

Camping wasn't something on my bucket list. The bugs, dirt, and bears were a tremendous turnoff. But with the aid of producers, they offered all the amenities needed to make it through the night. The crew provided each of us with a five-person sized tent, a plasma TV, a refrigerator, a fluffy mattress, and a heater for when the winds pick up.

This was the kind of camping I could get into.

To pass time, Elton presented us with multiple games to entertain us, but all I craved was to get away from Ambrose. He made it nearly impossible to focus on anything other than how wild my heart beats. Ambrose was sheer perfection. Dark jeans hug his long, muscular legs, and his black sweater stretched across his broad shoulders in a delicious way that made me shiver.

I'm trying to decide if I should get lost in the woods or just act like my feelings aren't interfering with how I acted around him. Pink, purple, and blue meshed in the sky to create this breathtaking sunset, leaving the sunset looking like an egg yolk. If my phone hadn't died during the drive here, I would've snapped a picture and written an inspiration quote.

"So, which game do you wanna play, honey?" Ambrose's raspy tone made my heart beat at the speed of rabbits running.

"Aaaaa...." I drew out as I scanned around for which game had the least amount of contact with Ambrose.

"Davina!" Wesley screamed, latching his grip around my wrist. "Let's play Charades, I think your acting will make our team an obvious winner."

My gaze darted over to Ambrose, the corner of his lips tipping down to a frown. "Darling, you could always come and join us... The more the merrier, right?"

Wesley flashed a worried gleam in my direction.

Ambrose dug his hands in his jean pockets. "No, no. It's cool. I'll just go throw horseshoes with CT..." His lips formed a straight line as he stumbled back in the direction of the horseshoes.

My eyes narrowed into murderous slits. "What the hell, Wes?"

Wesley rolled his eyes. "What? I'm doing what you asked, keeping you away from Ambrose."

From an outside point of view, Ambrose and I were complete opposites. But oddly, that famous phase about opposites attracting to one another couldn't be any more true. At least for me. Our personalities clashes constantly, our conversation ranged from ridiculous arguments to heartfelt sentiment moments it screamed incompatibly.

But Ambrose was like my favorite slice of peanut butter cake. A drug. Sweets were good in a timely fashion, but every day the addiction grew bigger, and cavities began to form. Cavities represented the truth, the reality of Ambrose being in love with someone and my feeling remaining unrequited for all eternity.

Our parents drilled into our heads how sweets brought on those cavities, yet that doesn't stop us from eating. Ambrose, being in love with Lana doesn't stop my body from craving to be by his side. Wouldn't it just get worse if I pushed him away? People do say the heart grew fonder with distance.