Truth Heard, Truth Hurts

Dread was like a half-assed tied shoe

Dread was like a half-assed tied shoe. Even when you tried ignoring it, the shoelace stared into your soul until it reach a limit of no return and you had no choice but to retie it. That's how I felt ever since the talk with Ambrose. Fear nipped at my weakness, and I knew if I held out any longer, I wouldn't be able to talk to my sister.

So for the past hour, my finger has been hovering over the face time button and praying to gain a percentage of courage to call her. It was almost impossible. I'm still stunned. I managed to send her a message to make time for me. But texting had a disconnection. It was only phones sending radio vibrations to each other.

Facetime was an entirely new ballgame.

Before I could chicken out, my finger twitched, and made the decision for me. Davina is calling Kasey was engraved into my mind as my nerves spread like wildfire and I paced around the dining room. My nail was my best friends as I nibbled on them until they mounted to the bud.

My breath hitched when the ringing went silent and the screen displayed a loading symbol. Holy fuck! Why the hell did I do this to myself? I could've been binging watching Naruto but instead, I'm conquering my biggest fear.

Okay, when put like that, it's probably my best choice this year.

Long, wavy brown hair fell backward and gave me a clear view of her perfect bone structure. Her blue eyes were bright, and the long, dark lashes cast shadows over her cheekbones. Glossy tinted lipstick popped on her lips, bringing out the youthfulness in her eyes. After all these years, she hasn't lost that innocent gleam in her eyes.

"Hi, Davina!" Her tone was dipped in excitement. "I wish we could see each other face to face, but I guess this is better than nothing. You made my entire week by messaging me this morning to believe I was thinking about sleeping in."

I half grinned. "I'm glad I still have that effect."

She laughed loudly, her nose crinkling from the intensity. "Ahh, I missed hearing your sassy comments. Good thing you played that sassy bitch in 'Faith of My Past'. I really felt like I was hanging out with my sister again. I probably watched it over hundred times."

I scratched the nape of my neck. "Milo did say they made the role especially for me."

Kasey cover her mouth, followed by an array of giggles. "So, how's your new beau? Ambrose, right? I prerecord every episode in case something comes up. It's been very intense lately. Who knew cooking could be so dramatic."

A smile hinted at my lips. "Yeah, the producers really aced the job when casting Estefania. I'm almost eighty-five percentage positive that's her lifeline because her Chicken Francese was undercooked and tasted like moldy bread."

Her brown eyebrows furrowed. "I don't remember the judges saying that."

I scoffed. "The magic world of editing. They probably edit it out so it would make sense why they kept her in instead of CT. Gosh, I miss that Meathead goofball. Anyway..." Misery was lodged in my throat. "I called because I wanted to speak to you... I know I don't win the best sister award but I'm desperate to know how you been?"