Jokes On Me. Right?

Sleeping was ultimately the hardest task of the night

Sleeping was ultimately the hardest task of the night. I lay there, unable to fight the gnawing suspicion that something bad was on the horizon. Situations like this wouldn't end well unless Ambrose opened up about what bothered him. He's hurting, he's lost, he's shouting for any form of attention anyone could see, but he wasn't ready to let us in.

It's unsettling seeing someone so full of spirit and energy suddenly become this hollow shell.

I had to get him to open up as soon as possible before the crushing worry I'm feeling started flashing worst-case scenarios in my head. Giving up, I wandered out of my master's room and into the living room to check up on Ambrose. His body slouched over on the couch, his arms reaching to the floor while his face was squished into the harsh surface of an inexpensive sofa.

My finger lightly traced the apples of his cheeks, causing him to stir and shift forward into my touch. Like kittens do. I wished I knew how to get him out of this funk, to be the happy-go-lucky guy from a week ago. The truth was, I don't even know if he could return to that person, but I knew holding everything inside would only lead to destruction.

Lightly tapped footsteps caught my attention as I saw Declan scratching the back of his head with a yawn. We shared an innocent smile before his eyes draped over Ambrose's sleeping frame.

"Has he woken up yet?" Declan whispered.

I shook my head. "No, I just couldn't sleep, so I came out here to check on him."

He slowly nodded. "Do you mind if I make some tea? I kind of have a headache from Lana crying. She's like a little baby sometimes."

"Yeah. Sure. I'll help since I think tea would do me some good," I responded, standing up from my spot beside the couch.

Surprisingly, Declan found the teapot in seconds while it took Ambrose twenty minutes to find it when he wanted to make hot chocolate weeks ago when I ran into Colton. He placed it onto the electric stove while I gathered two mugs from the cabinet and dropped tea bags into them. Seconds later, the annoying chirping noise from the teapot permeated the room and Declan shut the stove off.

We sat on the island on opposite sides as I mixed in honey and sugar for a sweeter taste while Declan just drank his. The only sound coming from us was our spoons clinking against the glass mug. It's pretty awkward, to say the least. Lana was naturally a chatterbox, but Declan was the contrary.

"It's nice to see you guys together," Declan said, staring off into the distance.

My eyebrows knotted. "What do you mean?"

He took a hefty sip of his tea. "I'm not as dumb as the others. I knew something was up from the moment I met you. I know you guys started dating to make Lana jealous." I nearly spat out my tea. "It didn't take too long to pick up on clues and see his intention behinds them."