Birthday Suit, Bathroom Accidents

I hated hospitals

I hated hospitals. The memories of my sister's accident overwhelmed my thoughts as I sat in my room, waiting for discharge. I remember to the very last second our hands held onto each other until they dragged her into the surgery room. The flashing terrors of my hysteria crying as I tried clutching onto my sister so we wouldn't be separated.

"Everything is all good." Milo threw a thumbs up. "I'm glad you're okay, kiddo. Had me shitty bricks for a second."

I snickered. "Good. So you can finally stop chatting about your bowel movements to Hailey."

His cheeks flushed red. "She told you about that?"

My perfectly puckered eyebrow jumped up. "The walls by your office are paper thin. I learned a lot of your dirty secrets that way."

He nervously loosened his tie. "Maybe it would've been better if you died in the fire."

I gasped. "You're such an ass!"

A teasing grin stretched over his face. "I'm joking! My life wouldn't be as entertaining without you to manage." He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and gently sank his head on mine. "I've been with you since you were ten. I'll be damned if I don't get to see you until you're old and gray."

I patted his back with a lack of passion. "Well, you don't get to worry, I'm here to stay..."

His smile slipped. "So I heard from the casting director... Why didn't you show up this morning for the audition?"

I leaped from the bed. "I didn't feel like it..."

"Davina!"

"What?" I groaned.

He combed his fingers through his gelled salt and pepper hair. "This is a tremendous opportunity for your career. A role like this will completely change your life and bring back the stardom you had in your teens. This is what you've been wanting since your public spiral and you act like it's nothing."

Frustration swelled in my chest. "I'm just nervous. Okay? I haven't auditioned for anything in years. Who knows if I still have the star quality these producers want? I don't even know if I want to be in the limelight anymore."

Milo scoffed. "You were made for the entertainment industry. I've known it since you strutted your way on the competition stage in your heels at age nine. Listen, you're an adult now and I can't control what you want to do, but I managed to use this little accident as an excuse for you missing the audition. They are willing to give you another shot and I think you should take it. Use it as a safety net."

I gnawed at my cheek. "I'll think about it..."

A mischievous smile pulled at his mouth. "Friday, nine-thirty. Sharp!"

"Yeah, yeah!"

Milo was right. This breakout role could restart my entire career and I could be respected in an industry that had given up on me. Confusion sliced my thoughts in half. In one end, I wanted to fight for this role and become those actors that won Oscars or Emmys. But shooting would take me away for months and I'm finally opening up to the idea of mending my relationship with my sister.