The Mystery of Feelings

"I thought you were Ambrose

"I thought you were Ambrose. He always tends to come searching for me when I run away like a coward. Sorry, I thought you were him," she murmured, her voice hoarse. "Hey, Wesley, you said you're the King of broken hearts, but none of your advice is going to help me."

My stomach contorted at the serious tone this conversation was shifting to. I know the right thing would be to open my fat mouth, but it's like a witch cast a spell on me and I couldn't do anything but listen to her.

"Help me take away these feelings... so I can be strong... Because I'm hopeless." Her voice cracked, vulnerability shining through. "I... I can't stop myself from l-loving Ambrose."

My head snapped back in surprise as I took in her confession. Guilt gnawed at my chest. Davina only shared this because she thought I was Wesley. So had I betrayed a sense of trust between us for keeping quiet? Never in a million years did I think Davina would say this...

"I want him to be with Lana, for things to work out between them, but even so, it hurts." Her voice was strained, a rough and painful sound tearing through my chest. I clamped my mouth shut, afraid of making even the smallest sound. "It still hurts more than anything..."  Davina's voice crumbled, wet droplets landing on my back. "I don't t-think I c-an take it." 

An irritating vibrating sound extracted me from my dreams, my body submerged in sweat and my pulse at the speed of rabbits running. Another night of dreaming about Davina, and another day of no messages from her. How many times was I going to replay her confession in my head?

Davina didn't say much after that. When we got to her hotel room, I was pleasantly surprised to meet her expensive suit-wearing mother waiting for her. I explained how she got the mark on her head, and her mother commanded her bodyguards to bring Davina to the hospital. I was seconds away from entering the car when her mother stopped me, saying something along the lines of wanting to speak with Davina without my presence.

Holy shit. Now, that I'm replaying it shot by shot could she have assumed I beat Davina? Her expression was so stoic, I wouldn't be able to read anything even if she didn't have twenty pounds of botox injected into her face.

It's been a week.

A week since any contact. I spammed in every possible way. But nothing. Like she vanished into a black hole and I was here lost in her remaining dust particles. While I would love to spend my day wailing in my bed, my parents were flying in today and we prepared to have dinner tonight. Fear crept in. I wasn't sure how I could survive the night without having Davina's support.

Groaning, I took my bath towel and exited my bedroom to our five-star bath and shower complex across the hall.

"I'm guessing you haven't talked to her?" Wesley's voice caught me off guard.

I flipped the towel onto my bare shoulder. "No, I haven't..."

He nodded, his eyes dropping down to the floor. "Milo came by while you were sleeping, I asked if he had any news about Davina. He said Davina's mother wanted to keep her until she started feeling better. Apparently, it was worse than we thought, and she caught the flu or something. I'm guessing he hadn't told you."