Love at First Letter - 22

Sorry guys, something happened and only the first page of this story updated. It has been fixed, I have no idea what happened. If there is something missing and it seems a little bit off please let me know, I might not have fixed it all the way.
If you're having trouble reading this chapter and only one page is showing updelete the story and re-add it to your library. That should fix everything

Love at First Letter

Chapter 22

I was up hours before I needed to. Brett and I weren't leaving until a little before noon and it was just now seven in the morning. I couldn't hear anyone else throughout the house so I assumed they were all still sleeping. Sarah was lying perfectly still on the bed and I tried not to move too much on the air matress so it didn't wake her up.

I folded my hands beneath my head and closed my eyes, willing for the sleep to come but it never did. There was a soft closing of a door and I rolled quietly off the mattresses, landing on all fours on the floor. Sarah didn't budge, so I tiptoed to the door and quietly pulled it open. There was a light on in the bathroom as I made my way down the stairs and into the kitchen. The shower turned on and I rummaged through the cabinets, peeking over my shoulder occasionally so I didn't get caught. "You can eat whatever you find." A teasing voice said from right behind me. I jumped, placing a have over my heart, and calmed when I saw Brett standing there and laughing at me. "You don't have to be secretive about it."

"Stop making fun of me."

"Do you want me to make you breakfast?"

"Yes please." I let the cabinet shut quietly and took a seat at the kitchen table. I watched as Brett got to work on our breakfast. I told him that he should focus on one thing at a time instead of trying to make both pancakes and bacon at the same time. I wasn't in the mood for a kitchen fire and I wanted to get through this morning without casualties.

"You didn't burn the food," I teased Brett when he placed a plate full of food down on the table in front of me. "and it actually looks edible."

"Of course it's edible. I wouldn't want to serve you something you could only look at. Especially with how loud your stomach has been growling."

I blushed and looked down at my food. The pancakes were shaped as Mickey Mouse and were litered with chocolate chips. "How'd you know I liked chocolate chip pancakes?"

"Who doesn't like chocolate chip pancakes." He says to me, diving into his pancakes that were drenched in syrup.

"You'd be surprised. My friends back home will only eat chocolate chip pancakes if there are no more than five chocolate chips in their pancakes. But they also would rather their pancakes plain and without syrup."

"Without syrup?" Brett asked as if it was the craziest thing he's ever heard. "How can you eat pancakes without syrup?"

"It's quite easy actually. It's much better for you than all of that syrup on your plate. It's drowning the poor pancake, it's gross." I got up from the table when I had finished my pancake and rummaged through the fridge and plucking out the grape jelly from inside the door. After going through all of he drawers to find the silverware I grabbed myself a knife and made my way back to the table. Brett's eyebrows were furrowed as he watched me dip my knife into the jelly and slather it onto my bacon.