Love at First Letter - 26

PLEASE READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE BOTTOM.

It's quite lengthy, but please read it all.

Love at First Letter

Chapter Twenty Six

We were lost. Brett had decided that he was going to drive and would not listen to a single word I said. When I would tell him to go right he would go straight or left. Even when I tried to tell him to go the wrong way, in hopes that he would go the right way, he somehow knew that I was lying and would then go the way I told him to go.

It was both incredibly frustrating and funny. But now, we were somewhere in a different town and I had no idea how to get home. My cell phone had no service and Brett had left his at the house. We had started off showing him the town, which wasn't a very long tour in the first place. We had stopped to get a quick lunch and then he took over. We were now in some small town I didn't recognize.

"Well now you've done it." I say to him as he pulls into the nearest gas station. We were too close to the E for my liking. "If I would have just drove, none of this would be happening right now."

"Maybe I just wanted to spend some alone time with you?" I look up at him as he smiles down at me. Any ounce of anger vanished with his words and the way he was looking at me. I smiled back up and his and kissed his lips.

"That's sweet," I say to him. "Do you want anything?"

He shakes his head, but I decide to get him a water anyway. When we both get out of the car, Brett heads towards the gas pump while I head inside. I grab a few snacks and drinks considering we didn't really know where we are or how long it'll take for us to get back. Just a little precaution incase we get even more lost.

I ask the woman behind the counter for directions back to our town, which she happily gives us. I thank her and head out to the car where Brett was bobbing his head to some song playing on the radio, but he had the music off before I can even climb in. I narrow my eyes at him but don't say anything about it. Instead, I relay the information back to him and even though I doubt he will listen, at least we knew where we were and the general direction to go.

"Can we please just make it back before the sun goes down?" I ask him as we pull out of the gas station and onto the road, heading in the right direction for once.

"Of course, I just want to spend a little more time with you."

"Then I know where we can go." I say to him and he finally listens to my directions. We pull up to the nature trail, one that my aunt and uncle used to take me on a lot when I was younger. We would pack a bag of food and a blanket and trek all the way up to the top and have a picnic. I grab the food and drinks I had gotten from the gas station and throw them into a random bag I found in the car.

Brett and I walked, hand in hand, up through the nature trail with little conversation. We just enjoyed the silence and nature. It was a bit steep at times and the lack of running lately was starting to get to me.

"I need to go for a run soon. I haven't been since the tour started." I say to him, willing my legs to push me up the hill just a little bit farther. When we reached the top of the hill, I was slightly out of breath and plopped down onto the ground.

"How about we go tomorrow? I haven't been for one in quite some time either, so how about just three miles?"

"I think I can manage that." I say to him as he sits down behind me and pulls me into his lap. He rests his back on the tree behind us and rests his chin on my shoulder. He kisses the spot right where my shoulder meets my neck and the butterflies are back. He continues his assault on my shoulder and I let him. I let my head fall to the right so he has more room. It wasn't long before I was turned in his lap and he connected our lips. They danced together in sync and I loved the taste. He tasted like the twizzlers he was just eating.