Love at First Letter - 4

It has been forever since I've updated this story, and I am so sorry. Honestly I have no excuse for this, just that I've seemed to take more of a liking to my other stories. Not that I don't like this story, because I do. It's just not my top priority at the moment. And I'm not sure if I am going to continue with this story.

Today is my birthday, and if you read my message to y'all, then you know that this is my birthday present to y'all. I want to say sorry for waiting so long for this update.

There is a bit of point of view change in this story. I know some people don't like this very much, but it's important for this chapter.

So here is chapter four.

*********

Love at First Letter

Chapter Four

Sergeant Tate's POV

It was a random tuesday in a random week of a random month, when something unexpected happened. I can't remember the last time I had a piece of mail delivered to me. Of course my wife tries to send the occasional letter, but with more access to skype, it wasn't really necessary. We skyped every other week for an hour and that seemed to be just fine for us.

So when the mail man came up to my tent with an envelope addressed to me, I had no idea what to expect. It wasn't my wife who was mailing me and it definitely wasn't one of my kids, who were busy in middle school and high school. I didn't have any friends outside the military.

When I flipped over the envelope and saw the name of the return address, my jaw slacked open and the letter dropped from my hands and onto the floor. It didn't take me long before I scooped the letter up off the floor and began to open it.

I had only asked Officer Tinsley to ask her to write to me, I didn't expect her to actually do it. Taking a deep breath and folding open the pieces of paper, I began to read.

Dear Uncle Tate,

        I'm not sure how to start this off, and I'm not even sure what I want to tell you in this letter. I know that it's been a long time and I know that you are probably really upset with me, and to that I am sorry. And I hope that you can forgive me. It's been really hard dealing with this, I just wanted to shut everything military out of my life and forget about it, somehow thinking that that would help me get over their deaths. But it hasn't helped and I don't think it will.

        I want you to know that I am terribly sorry for everything that I've put you and the rest of our family through. And I promise that when you get leave, I will come visit you and everyone else.

        I couldn't bring myself to open your other letters. I know I should but I just can't. And I know that mom and dad would be really disappointed in me right now if they could see how I have been acting towards you and Aunt Jenette. I know that y'all only wanted to help and I appreciate that, but I thought that I would be alright on my own. And so far, I have been doing good, not great but good. I don't konw if you know this or not, but I did write a book. It's more of a young adult romance book, so I wouldn't be offended if you haven't read it, but I have a problem. I can't seem to come up with a second idea for a book. I'm a has been after one book. Everything I try to come up with just sounds like shit.

        I keep staring at your letters that are sitting on the table in front of me, and I want so badly to open them and I guess the only thing that is stoping me from opening them is the guilt. The guilt that I put you and Aunt Jenette and Lizzy and Trevor is so much pain. Y'all were grieving too when it came to my parents and I just left, and I'm sorry. I know it's been a while since they've left but I haven't gone a day without thinking about them. It hurts Uncle Tate, it really does.