Love at First Letter - 7

This is pretty sad to say but I've got to say that I just discovered the demographics thing that shows you what age your readers are and what gender and where they live. And most of you who read this are between the ages of 13 to 25 and most of you are female and a lot of you live in (besides America) the UK and Australia!

So where I live, there is only four more days until Christmas, and I wanted to get to at least chapter ten before the new year, so I'm going to try to crank out some updates, but I'm not sure if I'll get to all of them.

I still want these updates to be longer and not feel so rushed, but I'm going to try.

Love at First Letter

Chapter Seven

To say I was a nervous wreck the entire flight would be an understatment. My foot never stopped bouncing and I had already chewed off all of my finger nails before the plane even got off of the ground. I couldn't focus on the magazine in front of me and had half a mind to order some alcohol from the flight attendant, but figured that probably wasn't the best decision. I didn't know what was wrong with my aunt but I knew getting drunk and then finding my way to her house wasn't going to be the right choice.

The older woman who was sat next to me took my fidgeting with ease. She kept her focus on the television in front of her and kept one headphone in and the other out. I could feel her gaze on me as I still picked at my shortened finger nails.

"What's wrong dear?" She asked me, pivoting in her seat to face me and took the headphone out of her ear.

"Family issues," I say to her. "My aunt called me saying something was wrong but not what it was and I'm a bit scared to find out."

"I'm sure everything is going to be just fine." She said to me, giving me a small smile and putting the one headphone back in and turning towards the movie that was playing on the overhead screen just a few seats ahead of us.

It was a long flight from South Carolina to the base where I had grown up. And when I got off of the plane and grabbed my bag and quickly made my way towards the exit where I hailed a cab and rattled off the familiar address that I knew by heart. They had been living in the same house for a long time now. Usually in the military life you bounce around from base to base and at first they did, but when Uncle Tate moved his way up in the ranks and became one of the top military officials they stopped moving around as much and settled down in one place.

The familiar neighborhood came into sight and I felt the nerves in my stomach moving up as if I was going to throw up. The only thoughts I could think were terrified ones that revolved around an injured Uncle, or worse. I know my mind was going straight to the worst case scenario but just the way she was crying on the phone I knew something was terribly wrong.

The lights in the house were dark and there was only one car in the driveway when the taxi pulled up to the house. I immediately thrust the money into the driver's hands and grabbed my luggage before practically sprinting into the house.

"Hello! Anyone home?" I called as I let my luggage fall to the ground as my youngest cousin Trevor called out from the living room. Making my way towards his voice I found him sitting on the couch with his head in his hands. Trevor looked up at me and lept off the couch, flinging his arms around my neck and burying his face into my neck. He wasn't crying, just seeking comfort. "Where's Aunt Jennette and Hanna?" I asked him.

"They told me to wait for you here," He unwrapped his arms from my neck and handed me a pair of keys. "They're at the hospital."

"Please tell me what happened." I questioned him as we hopped into the car and he gave me the directions to the hospital they were at.