CHAPTER 3

Author's POV

                                                                   ( Meera's house)

                                                                   ( Meera's house)

By the time Meera reached home it was 7pm, Mumbai traffic sucks. She parks her car and goes inside. Mary is in the kitchen and after greeting her , she heads towards her dad's room.

Mary is our house keeper cum  nurse cum cook . She is in her mid-thirties and has been working for them since we came to India 5 years ago.

Meera knocks on my dad's door and enters his room. He was facing away from her trying to hide his face. She goes inside and sits beside him while he hastily wipes his tears. He was holding  a frame with her mom's picture and crying. Meera pulls him into a hug and places her head on his shoulders while he wraps an arm around her . Her parents were so in love and it breaks her heart to see him like this. They stay in the same position for a while . He pulls away and says,

"Its Neetu's death anniversary tomorrow."

"How can I forget ", Meera say softly. After all it was the very day her mom and he left.

"why don't you go and freshen up then we'll have dinner together", Ranveer says while wiping his tears.

Meera agrees and  gets up and goes to her room. She takes a quick shower and puts on sweat pants and a crop top and makes her  way to the dining room.

 They both eat dinner together talking about their respective days. Once they are done eating, Ranveer clears his throat nervously and looked at Meera. He finally said, 

 " Meera, bete I have to talk to you about something important but please promise me that you won't get angry."

Meera looked at him with concern and replied ," I can't promise anything until you tell me what's going on but I'll try my best not to."

"okay....good enough i guess ....so you know about my childhood friend Sameer Malhotra . We were talking a couple of days ago and he has a son who is single and around your age, I know I only have 2 to 3 months left and I don't want to die before I see my angle get married. Since I know marriage is the last thing on your mind I want to get married to him ." he said in one breath.

He paused to take a deep breath and searched my face for some reaction but found none. ' Say something Meera' he prompted.

'NO', she replied,' You can't expect me to marry someone I don't know . You are basically asking me to  marry some stranger. I don't want to marry anyone. Usko chodo I don't even know that person and you expect me to get married o him in what a month or two?

" Meera think about it once ,please. I dint know your mom very well before we got married and  everything turned out well. We fell in love  and had the most amazing daughter", he says. " I know it sounds a bit absurd but it's for your best. I promise you will be happy there , they are an amazing family and I am sure even your mom would have wanted the same thing. Moreover I only have a few months left and its my last wish ki teri shaadi ho jaye. I want make sure that you are happy and settled before I go. I have never asked you for anything please agree with me on this one thing."

" Dad this is emotional blackmail and using mom's name was a cheap shot. Moreover I am happy and I don't  need someone else to be responsible for my happiness. Also yours and moms case was different. I too was in love with someone but I guess things don't always work out the way we want them to " she says.

"I'm sorry beta but I am not forcing you into anything, just looking out for you .Sleep over it and tell me your decision tomorrow ' he said genuinely looking sorry.

" Its not like I have much choice but ok. Good night dad" she replies and goes upstairs to her room.

Meera shuts the door of her room and groans. She presses presses the heel of her palm against her eyes, overwhelmed and a little frustrated because of the conversation she just had with her dad. She sits on the edge of her bed replaying the entire the conversation in her head.

What if she actually agreed? What would happen? Marriage was a big deal and it wasn't something she wanted to rush into especially considering her past record of relationships. Her trail of thoughts was broken by a skype notification that popped up on her laptop. Meera opens the app to find a call form her other best friend Liz.

She accepts the call and and the next moment Liz's cheery face pops up on her screen. 

"Omg, finally you pick up. You won't believe what happen.....", Liz starts to speak enthusiastically but trails off as she notices Meera's troubled expression.

"Hey Meera, what's wrong?", she asks snapping Meera out of her thoughts.

"Huh, no nothing. Don't worry about it. So what were to saying earlier?", Meera says with fake excitement but in turn receives a flat glare from Liz.

"You can't fool me Meera. I know you better than you know yourself. Now come on, spill the tea and don't bother lying", Liz says with a serious expression. Meera relents and tells her everything. To her credit, Liz listened to Meera carefully as she explained everything in detail to her best friend. After Meera finished narrating the whole thing Liz just stared at her trying to process all the information.

"Bloody hell", was Liz's reply.

"That's right", Meera agreed. 

"So what are you going to do now? What's his name name? Is he hot?", Liz bombards Meera with questions.

"I don't know to all your questions", Meera groans." What do you think I should do?"

"It doesn't matter what I think . It's your decision to make but just remember that whatever you do I'll always support you", Liz says sincerely.

"I know and that is why I love you"

"Aw, I love you too. Anyways, does Kara knows about this?"

"No, all this happened like 5mins ago. I dint have the time to tell him", Meera replies.

"Ok, but he is going to flip when you tell him. Anyways I have to go now, we'll talk soon and keep me posted. Also Meera, don't overthink so much just go with the flow", Liz says and disconnects the call.

Meera says goodbye and closes her laptop. She places it on the side table and lies down on her bed. Her thoughts run wild with all the different possibilities. Finally deciding to make her decision later, she switches off the lights and goes to sleep .

**************************************************

Ooohhh, so he finally dropped the bomb. Stay tuned to see what happens next ....

xoxo

Sakshi