𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏. 𝐇𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐥

Friday, a sultry noon

"Your face was warmer than the jacket that embraced you"

JinRin

I was used to it. The cold stares that seemed to stuck by me everywhere I went.

Don't get me wrong, I did nothing to offend those schoolmates. They just have a hobby of disliking everything I do.

Most people will be raging if they were in my shoes, as I was constantly getting glared at.

I don't really care though, not because I don't have feelings, but because I don't have the time to care.

Like clockwork, I placed my books into the locker after the morning lecture.
My heart was elsewhere of course.

My life is a hectic mess, piling up with schedules, timetables and even more plans for the day to come.

If you think I'm exaggerating, I don't blame you,
I may not look like a busy person, but I sure am.

Being the only one who can support my family, my holidays and free time are spent doing gigs to earn a small income.

Students my age engage in all sorts of fun— often quoting the phrase 'live life to the fullest'.

The only thing that's full is my plate.

In fact, I have never been to a party before, not even a prom.

As the bell rang, thongs of students made their way out of class, automatically splitting into their friend groups like packs of lions.

The hallway was like a colony of ants, marching their way out to the cafeteria in a not so orderly manner.

"BOO!"

"Stop doing that, you know I don't get scared easily" I smirked at my best friend who only returned a disappointed pout.

In case you don't know, that girl who always chew bubblegum? That girl who is always seen laughing contagiously at every teacher's joke? Yeah, that's my best friend, Chaewon.

I was that awkward girl at the corner of the classroom, not willing to speak or say anything whatsoever.

Whereas she's the total contrast of me.

She skips in every step she takes while her pigtails swing annoyingly in everyone's faces.
Always having a vibrant personality and bubbling a smile to everyone she sees.

I guess opposites attract as she and I have been friends for almost 2 years.
We went to the same middle school, and were together almost 24/7.

We got along instantly. There wasn't a reason for why even though we two were complete opposites, we still got along well.

Being an introvert and having mild social anxiety, I barely take the initiative to speak to anyone.

I seemed like a nerdy girl who is left out on all trends. Believe me, everyone thinks that way. I was even nicknamed 'loser'.

Chaewon was obviously aware of everyone's hate towards me.

To reemphasise this point, I still don't get it.

I was quite literally the quiet girl who speaks to no one and minds her own business the entire time.

Stirring clear from cliques and fights are what I mostly do. So the only logical conclusion was that I was different from them— in a way, offending them.

You have to agree, people are sensitive to even a mosquito bite nowadays.

I lived in a village while most of them lived in the city.

I know that city life and being a villager are two different worlds and things, but that doesn't give them any right to hate me so much.

Chaewon's thoughts about the situation were totally off limits. You will already expect some silly coming out from her mouth since she makes jokes at practically anything.

She was the happy pill after all.

However, what she said next shocked me.