𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟗. 𝐀𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝

"21"

"21"

Friday, what day was it again?

"What the actual fuck just happened"

His voice roared in a deep and serious register.
It was a movie clip. It had to be.

Their life flashed right in front of them— just like that.

The cafeteria, everyone cheerily laughing and goofing around. The front of the skyscraper, everyone sweating their pants out.

And now?

Haechan's eyes traced the guard's every footstep as he dragged Chaewon on the floor.
Her body wiped the already pristine office floor clean.

Her eyes glowed with anger and it was the very first time she felt hopeless, raw and bare. The independent girl always fought for herself, on her own, even without JinRin's support.

A woman made of hard, warm metal now stood powerlessly, defenceless on the ground like some slave.

As if that was her only purpose in life. As if this was all just a little show made up for the group of friends.
Made up for laughs' sake.

The office clock was ticking as of emphasising the point that every second mattered. The office was undoubtedly crowded with tall framed and armed men, blocking every entrance there could possibly be. Humorous, they even stood by the windows.

Mrs Lee was next, the guard wasn't so nice.

The knife was placed right at her throat. The guard was playful— but in a horrifying way. He was torturing Mrs Lee right in front of her daughter's very eyes.

Ruthless.

JinRin witnessed the scene of her mother crawling on the floor, being dragged like an abused cat.

Her heart clenched so painfully she thought she could internally bleed on the spot.

A few strokes of red on her cheeks, ragged clothings, messed up hair and a frail body.

That wasn't her mother anymore. Her mother had skin which shined radiantly in the dimmest light, neat and humble clothes paired with a neat bun and a strong demeanour.

JinRin bit her lips, feeling her mother's every cut, every slap. All her pain. She don't mind to take them all— if it means everything could go back to normal.

Ji Geon gave JinRin a subtle pat on her shoulder as a sign of consolation, heart aching for the girl beside her and empathising her very emotions.

"Guys we have no time to waste, Jaemin has officially fed himself to the wolves so we are on our own" Renjun said restlessly, eyes brimming with worry.

"We just have to follow the plan" the boy calmly did as he took something out. His head racing with the thoughts of the worst, a total contrast to his behaviour.

The remaining 7 stared unbelievably at Jeno who took out a small yet mysterious black pouch.

Could that be the key to unlock everything?

Never judge the book by the cover as the saying goes.

"Did you really think the both of us came here unprepared?" Jeno eyed everyone whilst clearing his throat, slightly abashed.

"We surprisingly did" Haechan snorted impatiently, eyes still glaring at the guards.

"Why didn't you say so earlier, we could have been more prepared you know" Chenle sighed.

Raising his arms to surrender, Jeno denied all suspicions, saying it was Jaemin's ultimate plan.

"Does Jaemin's plan ever work out?" Haechan asked, clearly still suspicious of the duo.

"Do you have a plan then?" Jeno shot the brunette a look.

"Fine fine" Haechan rolled his eyes as he came closer to Jeno, intrigued with what the plan might be.

"Right now Jaemin is currently bribing Sewon with anything his brain could think of, deals, solution, problems— i don't know"

"But his purpose his to stall time for us to either flee or fight" Jeno muttered out nervously.

"Obviously fight" Haechan muttered out,

"And I suppose you'll be our first sacrifice? We don't mind you being the tribute"

"The police is on their way and obviously Jaemin asked his mother to hire some people who are actually professional in fighting" Jeno added on to Ji Geon.

"So help is on its way and we are on our own for now, great plan" JinRin grumbled expectantly.

"I mean since when did Jaemin come out with awesome plans"

"It's always plan C or D which ends up working" Mark spoke out, finally making a logical statement.

"Oh please this is not the right time to jinx it" Renjun pierced his lips nervously.

"Wait so what does the black pouch contain? "

"Take a guess" Jeno shrugged nonchalantly, a stark contrast to his friends radiating anxiety.

"It's all the evidence you'll need for Sewon to get in prison and of course, fined"

"That's it ?"

"Well... there's a tad bit more Jaemin has yet to put it into plan"

"For now, run"