𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟏. 𝐅𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠

How is everyone?
JinRin hopes that your day is going better than hers.

How is everyone? JinRin hopes that your day is going better than hers

Wednesday, the shadows retreated.

"Everything came as we wanted and left without saying goodbye" - eight, iu

Jaemin found solace in the strong scent of caffeine that lingered in the air.

As the aroma consumed his mind, he once again delved deeper into his state of unnerve.

Fiddling with his partially finished coffee cup, he glanced nervously at the transparent door that stood just a few metres away from him.

Jaemin was here twenty minutes earlier. The reason for this? He doesn't know himself.

As it was a weekday, there were not many people in the café. Smooth jazz music played and in the background was soft conversations. The whole atmosphere was relaxing, perfect for students to indulge in a marathon of study.

Groups of students gathered around the large round tables where they quietly discussed the ideas for their upcoming project.

To put it short, Jaemin was on his own, near the utmost corner of the café. This made him wait for JinRin's arrival as he was feeling quite awkward having all the baristas staring at him, wondering what is up with his constant glaring at the glass door.

Not long after, the much-delayed girl entered the café hurriedly.

"I'm so sorry for coming late, something came up" the girl panted out.

"No worries.. i just came early"

"Sorry to keep you waiting.." JinRin continued, still facing Jaemin with a sheepish and apologetic look whilst getting all the study materials out.

"So how are you doing?" JinRin bravely started off, trying to hide her anticipation.

Jaemin's face immediately stoned but managed to force out the usual, "I'm fine, how about you".

Clearly Jaemin thought that JinRin was naive enough to believe him. But unlucky him as she saw through his act.

His permeating discomfort, obvious dishonesty and weird gestures made JinRin chuckle in amusement.

Jaemin looked at the girl, unamused of course.

"You are laughing? Was it something I did?"

Jaemin's flustered expression only made her burst out a bright smile.

"This is so awkward" JinRin muttered out whilst stirring her drink with a smile.

The guy only stared at her, waiting for her response.

"I guess I'm doing fine as well"

"..."

A thought suddenly struck JinRin, breaking the impending awkwardness between them.

"Oh right! I almost forgot, why didn't you tell me that you studied at the same school as me?"

Eyes shimmering with curiosity, the girl looked at the nervous boy in front of her who was fiddling with his coffee cup.

Jaemin deliberated upon his response, a quandary he was slowly submerging himself in. He definitely did not want JinRin to find out his popular title as a 'playboy' but he did not want to beat around the bush either.

Best way to answer it, was to use the exact same reason she gave previously.

"You might not know this but i'm quite notorious in school"

"I might have just figured that out yesterday.."

"... I know I do not know you well but you seem uncomfortable with being in the spotlight with hundreds of them staring at you everywhere you go.."

"That is a nightmare"

"haha... and like you have mentioned before, you did not want anyone finding out that you're tutoring me"

"That is why the best choice for me was to not tell you which kinda worked well at first but who knew we would accidentally bump into one another"

"Funny if you phrased it that way"

"Haha glad to clear that up"

"Let's focus on the work now.. you know the finals are close"

Gulping down a lump in his throat, Jaemin reluctantly nodded his head.

'She still doesn't know that i'm just a rank below her..'

'And the secret...'

The worrying thoughts absolutely rammed Jaemin's mind, just like causing pure water to become murky.

The compressing things that he has yet to let out has been stifling him as the day goes by.

For JinRin, it was the family issues and trust issues she has that had hindered her joy every day.

With hearts filled with burden, the pair still continued with their weekly tuition, both hoping that this weird way of 'remedy' can help them heal from the harsh reality.

Unknown to both, they have bonded more than they ever did and this might just be the start of Jaemin's lucid dream and JinRin's first taste of freedom.

——————————

"You see that"

"I can't believe it Chenle.."

"When will it be our turn..."

"I don't know Jisung, I don't know.." Chenle looked at Jisung, face in denial of what he had just witnessed.

"I hope JinRin can help him get over his past.."

"yeah..."