Chapter 2

Dawn was just breaking when Tobirama rolled over, grunting with satisfaction as he stretched his long body out on the mattress. It had been nice to sleep inside, and the luxury of a bed and soft linens only made it sweeter. He could hear his men stirring in the other room as they quietly got ready to train with Hata's men this morning. He readied himself, lacing on his armor and pondering Hata and his strange ways.

Last night, at dinner, they'd been joined by Hata's wife, Maki. She'd been quiet and clearly uncomfortable, serving tea when Hata indicated she should and nibbling at her food. After greeting Tobirama and welcoming him to the village, she'd hardly looked at either of them, and spoke only when Hata addressed her. When Hata called for the sake to be served she'd asked to be excused and fled before Hata was done nodding at her.

The conversation had been dull in her presence, and even duller when she left. Hata had filled the silence with stories; the difficulties he'd faced forming Iwagakure; making peace with the various clans that made up the village; and ensuring its safety.

When Tobirama had tried to bring up the proposed alliance Hata had waved him off and tried to refill his sake. Tobirama had refused after the second, only sipping at what was in his cup while Hata had imbibed heavily.

This morning, even after a good nights rest, frustration flowed through him, this trip was going to last longer than even Hashirama would have been able to tolerate.

Tobirama slid the door open and greeted his men. "How was your evening?"

"The food is good. The men," Hideo shrugged his shoulders and shook his head, "they're guarded with us. Many of them are either Uchiha or have Uchiha ties and they know your feelings on that clan."

"Good." Tobirama scowled before opening the door to leave. "Let's find the training fields and get this over with." He followed his men, greeting Sadao who was waiting for them with a nod.

Sadao bowed and nodded greetings at the others. "We train for a few hours and eat after. Is that acceptable?"

Tobirama wanted to suggest that Sadao push Hata to make the alliance and send him home, instead he remained silent and nodded.

A few minutes walk brought them to a training ground with about fifty men who were stretching and warming up for the training to come. Tobirama and his men joined them in formation, working through moves as natural to them as breathing.

When they'd finished Hata had arrived, out of breath but smiling. "Shall we get to work?"

The next four hours flew as they sparred both individually and in groups, observing each others techniques, asking questions and then practicing the new moves. The sun was well above the horizon when they stopped and Hata addressed his men.

"Thank you for coming this morning. You have the rest of the day to yourselves, but please return tomorrow morning."

The men bowed to both Hata and Tobirama and then dispersed in groups of three and four, talking amongst themselves as they made plans for the day off.

"What do you think, Senju-sama?" Hata asked as they walked back toward his office. "Are my men in need of your training?"

"That's a complicated answer." Tobirama mulled how to word what he wanted to say. "Your men are well trained, but there is never any harm in more training and more techniques. Dai would stay an extra month if you wished, and we would be willing to host your own ninja in Konoha."

"That's an excellent suggestion. One I will consider. I hope you will consider the offer I will bring you as well."

"Of course, Konoha is open to any agreement that will bring peace to the region. What is your offer?"