Chapter 39

Maki

Maki relished the warmth of Shikaya's large hand wrapped around hers. He'd brought her to a field outside the village walls. They had followed the wall around the village and finally come to an area where the forest began again.

"This is the Nara herd land from the outside." Shikaya opened the pack he'd had slung over one shoulder and laid down a blanket. She watched as he laid out breakfast for them and then reached for her hand, gently pulling her down beside him.

The silence that lay over them was warm and peaceful as they ate watching the forest for movement. When they had eaten he put their things away and turned to her.

"Maki." He put his arm around her shoulders and pulled her close. "May I kiss you?"

She looked up at him in surprise and began to pull away but he pulled her back gently but firmly. "I won't force it on you."

She rested her head on his shoulder and looked off into the distance. "What if I can't?" She whispered this so quietly she thought he might not have heard her. It wasn't the kiss that frightened her, it was what might follow that kiss. Her only experience with sex had been terrifying and painful. When Atsushi had told her he wouldn't ask again she'd nearly fallen to her knees in thanks.

"Then you can't." He shrugged. "But I think you can."

She tipped her head up so that she was facing him and he leaned down allowing his lips to brush hers and when she leaned into the kiss he pulled her around so that she was sitting on his lap and he was kissing her deeply. When he pulled away she was flushed and short of breath.

"Shikaya, why are you so patient with me?"

"Because I love you Maki." He looked into the distance for a moment and then back at her. "You've brought my smile back." He pushed her off his lap and lay back on the blanket pulling her down next to him, arm around her shoulders, her head resting on his chest. "I can't tell you how much that means to me."

They lay there for hours simply enjoying the peace of each others company. When the sun had moved behind the trees and they were chilled by the shade he shifted, "Are you hungry?"

"A little." She twisted to look up at him. She didn't know how she'd caught the attention of this gentle man but she was going to accept his love and try to return it. She leaned up and brushed a kiss along his jaw. "You brought my smile back too, Shikaya."

"Lets go to my house, I'll make dinner."

At his house he made her sit at the table and drink tea while he cooked. He was calm and quiet, telling her stories of growing up in the Nara clan and listening to her own stories of growing up. She was so lost in memories it surprised her when he set a plate of food in front of her. The scent wafting up to tease her nose and make her stomach growl.

"I had no idea you were such a good cook, Shikaya."

"I'm full of surprises." He raised an eyebrow at her.

When they'd eaten and were settled on the couch, her head resting comfortably on his shoulder she voiced the observation that she'd been thinking about since he'd opened the door and welcomed her in.

"You're house is much more traditional than the others I've been in here."

"What can I say? I'm old fashioned." He shrugged, the chuckle reverberating through his chest.

"Hardly." She giggled. "I've seen old fashioned and you are not it."

He smiled and leaned over to kiss her. As their kiss deepened he let his hands begin to wander up and down her arms, sliding them around her waist, up her back and then around the front to caress her stomach. She froze.

"Maki, I won't hurt you. Please, trust me." His gentle tone eased her worries and she relaxed as he continued to kiss her, leaving her mouth to trail kisses across her jawline and down her neck. He slipped his hand under the edge of her shirt and let his fingers trail on the bare skin of her stomach hearing her sharp intake of breath as he did.

"Come with me." His voice was husky with desire as he stood and led her to his bedroom.