Chapter 4

Tobirama watched the girl who would be his wife flee the room, anger gathering in his gut.

"Hata?"

The infuriating man ignored him while he waited for the door to slide shut behind her, only looking at and acknowledging Tobirama's address then. "Yes?"

"Did she know of the alliance before this evening?"

"She's always known her marriage would be like her mother's and mine, an alliance to strengthen the clan and our village."

"Yes," Tobirama ground the words out through his teeth, "but did she know she would be married to me? When she came to dinner tonight?"

Hata waved a hand and chuffed, dismissing Tobirama's concern. "That is of no concern. I'm sure she assumed your visit would result in a marriage agreement for her."

Tobirama let silence fall between them as he resisted the urge to flip the man on his back and pummel him. No one deserved the disrespect Hata had shown his daughter tonight.

It wasn't the marriage agreement that bothered him. She seemed nice enough, and they'd get to know each other as time passed. It was the blatant disregard for her feelings that enraged him.

"She's still acceptable to you?" Hata's eyes were wide with concern. "Don't judge her on the display of emotion she gave as she left the room. Chikako is prone to fits of drama. She'll recover soon enough. Takao has probably already offered her comfort and helped her calm."

Tobirama threw back the contents of his sake cup to avoid snapping at the self-important man before him.

"She won't embarrass you, if that's what you're worried about." Hata continued.

When he opened his mouth to say more Tobirama held up his hand to halt him. He found the look of fear and uncertainty on the man's face a little enjoyable, recognizing that it was as unfair for him to toy with Hata's emotions as it was for Hata to toy with Chikako's. He felt justified in it, given the evenings events.

Tobirama took the time to pour himself another sake and drink it before he spoke. Hata sat, still as stone statue, watching him, fear coloring his eyes.

"How old is Chikako?" Tobirama finally spoke, noting with pleasure that his question didn't relieve the discomfort in Hata's eyes.

"She's twenty-two. Quite old enough to marry. I've been looking for a suitable match for her for six years now."

Tobirama drank another sake to hide the anger Hata's words were feeding, but nodded his head. Had she been any younger he would have refused the alliance. As it was there was ten years between them, they were likely to face hurdles as they got to know each other.

If she were older Tobirama would have held out hope that they'd fall in love eventually. It did happen. He doubted it would happen in this alliance. This would be an alliance in name only. He'd see to that.