Chapter 31

Shikaya

Shikaya wasn't one to wander aimlessly, he was out for some information and he knew who might have it. So he was headed to the new training fields.

He arrived and watched the Konoha nin and the Iwa nin face off and practice new techniques. While he stood there Hashirama came up and stood next to him. "Do you wish you were still part of it, Shikaya?"

"I don't miss it at all. I just wish the price of not fighting was the aches and pains I have." He laughed.

"So what brings you down here if you aren't looking to join us?"

"I was hoping for a little gossip, actually." He smiled at his Hokage.

"Are you becoming an old woman in your retirement?" Hashirama teased the older man.

"I don't think there's anything to worry about." He bantered back.

"So what did you want to know?" Hashirama looked him in the eye.

"Tobirama's wife, she's the daughter of Atsushi Hata, right?"

"Yes. Hata arranged the marriage between her and Tobirama as part of a peace agreement. Odd isn't it? To see Tobirama married, and happy about it."

"It is, but that's not what I'm wondering about. It's her mother, Maki. Why did she come to Konoha?"

Hashirama sighed. "She was lonely. She and Hata don't get along. According to Tobirama he hardly even saw her while he was in Iwa. Chikako wanted her here."

"I see. I visited the Hata clan, when I was younger. We sold them some of our remedies. I met Atsushi Hata when I did. I knew he had a daughter but never met his wife either. I just thought she'd died. I never knew." He looked off into the distance as if he was remembering something that happened long ago. "How interesting. So Hata is alive and well?"

"As far as I know. He was when they left Iwa." Hashirama watched the men. "Were you hoping otherwise?"

"I wasn't hoping anything. I was just wondering. Well, time I was home now." He left waving goodbye to Hashirama and ambled off.

He wasn't willing to admit his hopes to his Hokage. If Maki was still married he'd keep his interest friendly. But he was definitely going to be her friend.