Chapter 25

Chikako left her mothers room with mixed feelings.

She was disappointed her mother wasn't as excited about the idea of returning to Konoha with them, and hopeful she'd change her mind. She understood how frightening it felt to consider leaving your home for the first time, though her mother wouldn't be traveling with virtual strangers like Chikako had.

As she passed the koi pond she stopped to look at the moonlight reflected in the waters surface. She dipped her hand in the water watching it ripple from the disruption and thought of the first time she had seen Tobirama while feeding the fish. He had looked frightening and mysterious to her. How things had changed, and for the better.

Her love for her mother, Tobirama and all the people from Konoha who had embraced her and offered friendship bubbled up inside of her, she wanted her mother to have what she'd found. A deep sigh filled with longing escaped her as the koi nibbled at her fingers looking for food. She hoped her mother would see the possibility of a better future in Chikako's offer.

Strong arms circled her, "That was a deep sigh, Chika. Was it a sad one?"

She leaned back into Tobirama, reveling in the feel of him behind her. "I was just thinking of the first time I saw you here, I was feeding the koi and glanced up to see the most frightening man I'd ever laid eyes on. How much has changed since then."

"I guess that means I'm no longer frightening? Don't tell anyone, you'll ruin my reputation." His chest rumbled with a quiet chuckle.

She turned to face him and kissed him lightly on his chin. "You don't frighten me. I can't speak for others. And I'm very happy."

"We should get some rest, it's been a long day and you'll need all the strength you have if you want to go to training with me tomorrow."

"I know." She turned back to the koi and frowned at them, they watched her, waggling their tails and pursing their lips as they waited for food she didn't have. She'd suggested training with the men tomorrow so she could show them what she'd learned. It didn't seem like the brilliant idea she'd had earlier. Sadao's critical eye every time she spoke up was wearing her down.

"Are you nervous?"

"A little. My fathers men have never even considered the concept of a kunoichi." She took Tobirama's hand to walk back to their room. "Sadao certainly hasn't been happy with me today."

"He's one man." Tobirama shrugged her concern off.

Chikako stopped to face him, gripping his hand in hers, but she kept her voice quiet. "He's not just one man. He's my father's second in command and he's an Uchiha with a sharingan. If he decides he doesn't like what I'm saying who knows what he'll do!" Her chest tightened as the full weight of her concern, now spoken out loud, crashed down on her.

"Hey," Tobirama pulled her into his arms and stroked her back, "I'll be there. I won't let anything happen to you. The Senju's have been kicking Uchiha's around for years."

She nestled her head against his chest, taking comfort in the warmth that surrounded her and released her fear. Tobirama would be there with her, and the other Konoha ninja who had experience, and more importantly, respect for kunoichi. She didn't miss Tobirama's frown as they continued walking though. When they reached their room she slid the door shut behind them, determined to leave her worries outside.

As they got into bed Tobirama held her close. "If you change your mind about tomorrow..."

"I won't. Iwa needs to leave the past behind if they are to survive. Father wanted my marriage to strengthen the village, I'm going to be a part of that."