Chapter 34

Chikako sat at the table in the kitchen idly sipping her tea. It had been three months since she and her mother had returned to Konoha. Her mother was settling in, much to her delight.

Shikaya Nara had befriended her and came several times a week to walk and introduce her to people in the village, as a result she was making friends easily. Chikako couldn't be more thankful for the Nara man.

"Is everything alright Chikako?" Akira asked her.

"I was just wondering how long Tobirama would have to spend in Suna this time." She smiled. He had been sent to Suna to deliver a personal message to their kage by Hashirama, but he had no plans to stay.

"That's a nice smile, you must be looking forward to seeing him."

Chikako warmed at thought of his return.

"Did you want any breakfast?"

"I'm not hungry just yet." She gazed out the window. "Did mother go out with Shikaya this morning?"

"She did. I'm glad he's befriended her. A Nara is a good friend to have."

"I'm glad she's making friends too. I don't think she had any other than me in Iwa." She sipped her tea slowly.

"Are you feeling well Chikako?" Akira looked at her carefully. "You look as if you might be sick."

"Akira, can I ask you a question?"

Later in the day, Chikako was walking to the gates, joy filled her heart. She was sure Tobirama would be home today, she could feel it and she was going to greet him. She'd had a long chat with Akira this morning and she had left feeling very happy indeed. It was as she'd been helping to clean up from breakfast that she'd first sensed him coming closer.

She didn't understand it at all but she sensed his presence as a warm glow that got hotter the closer he was to her. She had become aware of it when they'd visited Iwa and it had been confirmed for her when he'd left for Suna last week.

Her fathers men were doing well in their training and Hashirama had asked him to go to Suna. The plan had been for him to be there for a few days and then return. She could feel his warmth increasing as she sat at the gates and waited.

Sure enough a few hours later she looked up and saw him walking tiredly down the road. She got up and ran to greet him. "Tobirama! Welcome home." She threw her arms around him and he lifted her off the ground with his strong arms to hug her back, kissing her at the same time.

"How did you know I'd be here?"

"I told you in Iwa, silly man. I can feel you."

He narrowed his eyes, "What do you mean?"

She stopped to look at him, wondering if she'd done something wrong. "I can feel your warmth when you're close. The closer you are the warmer it is. When you're far away it's gone completely."

"Is it only me you feel?"

"Yes, I think so. Is that wrong?"

"It's amazing. I can sense people's chakra signatures and, when I know them, identify them. But it seems that you and I have a connection different from that. When did it start?"

"I think I noticed it when we were traveling back to Iwa. But it's gotten much stronger since then. That's why you can't sneak up on me." She giggled at him and he smiled back.

"I should check in with Hashirama before I go home, join me?"

"Of course." They walked side by side to Hashirama's home quietly enjoying the others company. When they got to Hashirama's house the first thing they heard was the cry of his granddaughter, Tsunade. Tobirama knocked and then slid the door open.

Hashirama was sitting at the table in the kitchen sipping tea, Mito and the baby were apparently upstairs. He looked up "Welcome back Tobirama. I see you sought your wife out before me."

"She met me at the gate. I wanted to let you know that things went well in Suna. They are still unorganized but it's improving."

"Thank you." The baby finally quieted upstairs. "I never realized that one tiny baby could make so much noise. I must have been gone more than I realized when my boys were little."

"Should I go see if I can help?" Chikako offered.

"She's putting her down. Not much you can do. But thank you." He looked at Tobirama. "Anything else to report? I imagine you want to get home."

Tobirama ran his hand through his hair.

A hurried knock came at the door and before Hashirama could answer it the door slid open.

"Pardon the interruption Hokage-sama." It was Kyo one of the men who worked on guard patrol. As he entered they saw a very tired Iwa nin behind him. "This is Sho"

"I know Sho." Chikako said. "Is everything alright?" She rose to make some tea but paused when he spoke.

"I'm afraid I bring terrible news." He sank down at the table.

Hashirama and Tobirama both faced him. Hashirama spoke. "What news, Sho?"

Sho looked at Chikako but Tobirama spoke. "Whatever you have to say can be said in front of her. Iwa is her home also."

He took a deep breath to steady himself. "Iwa was attacked, three days ago. We managed to fight them off but," he looked at Chikako again, "I'm sorry, Sadao and Hata-sama were both killed in the attack."

Chikako gasped and fell to her knees, hand over her mouth. Tobirama pulled her close to him and held her. "Where is Dai?"

"I left him in charge. It's safe to say that the village doesn't know Hata-sama is dead yet. We all knew that Takao was intended to succeed him, we need him back, now."

"We'll have to break the news to him first."

Chikako recovered herself. "Sho, you must be hungry. Come to our house and eat." She stood. "Tobirama, will you find Takao and Kei and bring them as well?"

Chikako hurried to her home with Sho. When they arrived she entered the kitchen in a flurry that made Akira look up in suprise. "Did Tobirama return?"

"This is Sho, one of," she paused, "my fathers men. He will be joining us for a meal. Takao and Kei will be as well." She looked at Akira, her jaw set. "They'll need to eat well."

"I'll prepare something. Is Tobirama alright?"

"He's getting Takao and Kei." As she spoke Tobirama entered through the kitchen door. He indicated that they should sit at the table and Chikako began to serve them tea. "I'll get mother."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive." She left the room and returned quickly with her mother. "Mother, you should sit." She took a place at the table next to her mother and Tobirama sat down next to her, hurrying Takao and Kei to join him.

Maki greeted them but remained quiet.

"He came with important news this morning. Sho?"

Sho spoke up looking at Takao and Kei gravely. "Three days ago Iwa came under attack. I'm sorry to be the one with this news. Hata-sama and Sadao are both dead."

Maki gasped and leaned heavily on Chikako.

Takao and Kei spoke at the same time. "What!?"