Chapter 26

Chikako left the field and leaned against the fence near her father. Her chest was heaving with the physical exertion and her stomach was churning over his response to her actions. She was sure his opinion would flay her delicate, newly earned confidence.

"You've certainly changed, Chikako." Her father gaze was thoughtful and difficult to read. He was pensive, but not angry.

"Does that bother you?" She looked at the ground, finding it difficult to face him as she braced for his criticism.

"They're good changes, you're stronger, more confident." He touched her shoulder to make her turn and face him and spoke quietly. "Are you happy?"

It was the first time he had shown concern for her feelings. Her heart softened, but his approval didn't extinguish the anger simmering at its core.

"If I remember correctly my happiness was not the first concern in this arrangement, the strength of the village was. So my happiness is simply an unexpected benefit, isn't it?" She didn't hide her anger, though it was softened by her love for Tobirama and the happiness they'd found.

"I'm sorry Chikako. I never meant to make you feel that way." His words didn't match his body language, it was likely he was repeating what his own father had told him when his marriage to her mother didn't work out as planned.  She forgave him for that, at least.

"I'm going to clean up and visit with mother." She caught Tobirama's eye and waved goodbye, pausing when he held up a hand and came over to her.

"Are you leaving?" He searched her eyes, the question he'd asked was not the one he wanted to ask.

"I'm going to clean up and visit with mother." Chikako nodded and smiled at him, leaning up to kiss his cheek, and letting it answer his unspoken question about her conversation with her father. "I'd like to see Momo today, if that's alright."

"I'll see you later, this afternoon, before dinner?" The tension in his shoulders settled as he kissed her cheek back.

"This afternoon. Have fun training." She smiled at him and turned to leave.

As she walked back to their room she thought about the surprised looks she'd gotten from the Iwa ninja. Her little demonstration had been nothing compared to what a true kunoichi could accomplish on the battlefield but it was all she and Tobirama had to work with when they'd planned it.

They'd had the conversation last night before dinner, at the same time she'd asked him if her mother could return to Konoha with them.

"Do you realize that there are no kunoichi in Iwa, Tobirama?"

"I'd noticed that. Did you want to volunteer?" He'd smiled at her.

She'd playfully smacked his arm, "You know I'm useless in a fight. I have no training."

"That's not true. You're not an advanced kunoichi, yet, but don't underestimate yourself." Pride had glowed in his eyes. "I agree though. Your father and his men need to understand the risk."

Together they'd hatched up the plan they'd played out at training today to surprise her father's men and illustrate the strength of the kunoichi. She wasn't sure it had worked as well as she'd hoped it would. Sadao especially had taken a strong stand against it and as her father's second in command he had a lot of say in village decisions.

She put the memories out of her mind as she walked up to her mothers door and knocked lightly, opening it when her mother called out an invitation. She hugged her mother and settled on the floor at her feet.

"Do you have plans for the day?" her mother inquired.

"I have three tasks to complete today and I've finished one already." She smiled warmly, excited to tell her mother about training this morning.