Chapter 8

When Chikako had woken this morning the sun was streaming in the window and Tobirama was gone. For a moment she wondered if she'd dreamed everything, scanning the room for proof it was real.

Her stomach lurched when her eyes settled on their bags, packed and waiting by the door. Everything had happened so quickly she wasn't sure how she felt about being married to a man she hardly knew and leaving her home today for a future that seemed so unclear.

She'd fallen asleep crying on his shoulder. Even now, as the Palanquin rocked back and forth with the steps of the men who carried it, the memory made her shoulders sink.

What kind of woman did Tobirama think he'd been saddled with? Though he had been patient and kind with her, and so very angry at her father. She smiled at the memory of Tobirama wishing he could drown her father in his jutsu. She knew he had only meant it as an expression of his frustration, but it drew an interesting image in her mind.

She had wanted to skip breakfast so she could spend one last morning with her mother. Her heart hurt at the thought she'd never see her again and she sniffed back another round of tears. The time for regrets was over. She needed to step into her role as Tobirama's wife and behave in a way that brought him honor.

When Tobirama had shown up, dressed in full armor and learned of her plan his scowl at her made her shy away until the corners of his mouth turned up. It was the biggest smile she'd seen grace his face yet. He'd refused to let her skip breakfast so she could see her mother. Instead he'd delayed their departure, making time for both.

And he'd joined her visit to her mother, apologizing for stealing her daughter away so quickly. When they'd closed the door to her mother's rooms he'd been quiet, letting her absorb the change and adjust to it.

He'd held her hand as they crossed the yard to the ridiculous palanquin she now rode in, curtained off from the view and, her father had said, prying eyes. She thought it just made them an oddity to be stared at even more.

Just before they'd gotten within earshot of the people gathered around their belongings he'd stopped her.

"Are you ready?"

Shame had filled her chest for holding up the departure with her silly needs. "I'm sorry for making everyone wait."

He'd caught her hands in his and leaned down to brush his lips against hers. "You are the one making the sacrifice for our villages. We wait on you this morning."

She saw the sadness in his eyes before he released her hands to turn away and she gripped his fingers, drawing him back to face her. For a moment she was distracted by the sheer strength she felt rippling through him, his hands dwarfed hers, rough and calloused she had no doubt he could swing a mean punch should his jutsu fail.

"I don't consider it a sacrifice Tobirama." She smiled up at him, letting her face show the peace she'd made with her circumstances. "My father could have chosen many men for my husband. I'm glad he chose you. I think we'll do fine."

He'd met her gaze, searching her eyes for a moment, and smiled for the second time today. "Thank you."

It felt like it had been hours, maybe days since they'd left Iwa now. The curtains held the stifling heat in, making sweat bead up on her forehead and back. It tickled as it rolled down her skin and she shuddered at the sensation.

She leaned forward to spread the curtain and locate Tobirama. He walked with his men, just ahead of the procession her father had insisted on. For a moment she drank in the sight of him.

Now that she'd had time to adjust to the idea of being married to a stranger, and had gotten to know him a bit, she could admire the fine figure he cut. His crimson eyes and severe expression marred an otherwise fantasy perfect ninja. Tall,  he was wide at the shoulders and narrow at the hips, the embodiment of every young girls' dream. And Chikako understood that seriousness was more an expression of the weight he bore in responsibility than it was his temperament.

"Tobirama?"

He looked over his shoulder, frowning and turned back to her. Resuming his pace when he was beside the palanquin. "Is everything alright?"

"How long have we been traveling?"

"It's almost midday. Do you need to stop? Are you tired?" His questions didn't carry the air of annoyance or coddling.

"If you don't mind?" She needed to relieve herself, of many things. But nature was insisting.

"Certainly." He signaled for the men carrying her transport to stop and put her down. He tried offering her his hand, chuckling when she swatted it away.

Chikako swayed as she climbed down and stood for the first time in hours. When her equilibrium had settled she took a deep breath and pulled him down to her so she could whisper. She might have found comfort with Tobirama, but they were surrounded by men she didn't know.

"Is there a place I can..." she winced and caught his eye. Fortunately he got the hint.

"Follow me." He led her to an outcropping of rocks, standing guard, back to her, while she did what she needed and then he did the same when she was finished.

Before he could lead her back to the group she tugged his hand. "I have an idea."

He cocked his head to listen.

"If we send the palanquin back now, they'll be back before nightfall, and it will be too late for father to make them turn around and find us."

"Chikako," he frowned at her, "are you sure? We still have a long walk in front of us. And without the palanquin you'll have to sleep on the ground with me."

"Your men have families they are traveling back to, my father's men have families that are missing them. I won't be the reason they are separated. If you order me to keep it I will, but I'd rather walk."

She watched his face as he considered her request.

"My men can't carry all your belongings."

"I thought of that. I packed a bag I could carry myself with everything I needed in it."

For the third time today he smiled at her and shook his head. "You are far more independent than your father would like you to be, aren't you?"

She grinned at him and nodded. "He doesn't know the half of it."

They walked back to the group hand in hand. Tobirama stayed by her side while she addressed the Iwa men carrying her transport.

"You may return home." She pulled a small pack from the palanquin and shouldered it. "Thank you for your service to me. Please inform my father it was my choice to walk."

The men stared at her with disbelief until she turned her back on them and took Tobirama's hand. "Shall we go, husband?"

Tobirama's men, and the ninja who were traveling back with them, also stared at her and then Tobirama for direction. He shrugged at them. "It's going to be an even longer walk if we don't get moving."

They set out again to a chorus of grumblings from the men with the palanquin as they turned it around, Tobirama nudged her with his elbow. "Do you want me to carry your pack for you?"

"Maybe later." She grinned up at him and kissed his hand. "Thank you for trusting me to do this."