Chapter 3

Patience had been drilled into Chikako from an early age.

She tapped her toes to the song playing in her head while listening for Takao's footsteps outside her room. There were important guests visiting and her father had summoned her to dinner with them tonight. She was loathe to spend an evening listening to war stories and politics, but the Senju she'd met this morning at the waterfall had seemed nice enough, if a little old. He at least wasn't stodgy and superior with her like some of the other clan leaders father had introduced her to.

She wandered past her mirror readjusting her outfit to be sure father could find no fault with it and smoothed the fresh braid Rie had helped her with. The older woman had woven tiny white flowers into it that contrasted perfectly against the purples in her outfit.

Despite her preparation, her heart skipped at the knock on her door. Takao would escort her to dinner and then home again. He had been her constant companion since she'd left school, just five years ago. If she went somewhere, he went with her. Not as a friend, though she loved him dearly, but as her guard. It was her father's way of being sure she wasn't spoiled as he put it.

She slid the door open, surprised to see sadness in Takao's smile tonight.

"Is something wrong? Are Ai and the children alright?" She searched his face for answers.

Takao wiped a calloused hand down his face with a deep breath. "I'm just tired. Nothing for you to worry about."

His reassurance looked forced, but Chikako let it go, there were more important questions to ask. Such as what did he know about the Senju visiting.

Will my mother be attending?" Her heart crashed as he shook his head no. It was rare for Chikako to attend a formal dinner her mother wasn't at, what could father have in mind? Before she could ask Takao more questions he was sliding the door to the dinning room open and stepping aside so she could go in.

Chikako's heart pounded in her chest. She felt lightheaded, grabbing onto Takao's arm to steady herself before entering the room. The sense that tonight was going to change everything filled her with dread. She didn't know why the thought had crossed her mind, but, now that it had, it wouldn't leave.

She bowed her head and approached her father. "Good evening Father. Thank you for the invitation to join your meal."

"Good evening Chikako. Please greet our guest, Tobirama Senju of the newly formed Village Hidden in the Leaf, Konagakure."

Chikako bowed her head towards Tobirama, surprised he was their only guest. Her arms prickled with the same foreboding she'd had entering the room. "Good evening Senju-sama. Thank you for joining us for our meal tonight."

"Good evening Chikako. I'm glad to be here."

The formalities were over, but Chikako hadn't missed her father's sharp intake of breath at the informal greeting Tobirama had used. It endeared him to her. He might be old, but he wasn't backwards.

"Father, may I serve tea?"

"That would be lovely Chikako-chan."

She busied herself with serving, listening to them speak as she performed steps she'd practiced until she could have done them in her sleep.

"Senju-sama, this is my daughter, my one true treasure. Isn't she beautiful?"

"She is indeed a beautiful treasure, Hata-sama. You are a lucky father."

Though not lucky enough to have a son. The ugly thought froze in Chikako's mind, refusing to leave. Her cheeks heated at Tobirama's praise though and she studied him from the corner of her eye.