Chapter 33

Shikaya

"Are you enjoying Konoha, Maki?" Shikaya inquired. Maki's arm was hooked in his elbow as they roamed through the village. He hadn't been this relaxed and happy in years.

"It's nice to be with Chikako. She and I were always close."

"Closer than you were with your husband?" He looked at her carefully. He had questions that weren't polite to ask. Hata had been irritating and old fashioned but Shikaya had been shocked to learn that Maki had never been mentioned. How had the man ignored such a beautiful wife?

"He's very busy with clan and village business."

"I see." He led her to a bench and invited her to sit down. "Are you thirsty? We could find tea somewhere I'm sure."

"Oh no, I'm fine. Thank you." She glanced up at him and twisted her hands in her lap.

"Maki. I'm not going to bite you. I only want to be your friend. I'm not here to flirt with you. You're married and I imagine you take those vows seriously. Please relax. I won't hurt you."

She sighed, "Thank you Shikaya. I'm so worried what people will think."

"What will they think?" He asked, sitting next to her.

"Well, I left my husband in Iwa to live with my daughter. What do you think they'll think?"

"That you love your daughter."

"And that my marriage is a failure." She hung her head but he'd seen the shine in her eyes.

"It was an arranged marriage, wasn't it?"

She nodded, her shoulders curled with misery.

"How old were you?" He regretted the question as soon as he asked it.

"Sixteen."

He had to force himself to withhold the rage at her answer. This beautiful woman had been traded for an alliance to Hata, a man easily fifteen years older than her, at the tender age of sixteen. His hands fisted at his sides, he'd like to give her father a piece of his mind. "Well then we have even less to worry about. You're too young for anyone to think I'm courting you."

She laughed, "I'm thirty-eight. You aren't that much older than me."

"I'm fifty-five. Old enough that people will know I'm just being kind to a new-comer."

"Thank you again for your friendship, Shikaya. I didn't have many friends in Iwa. I haven't left the Hata compound since Chikako finished school. I've only seen her and the servants."

He sighed, what had Hata been thinking? "Well then I'll make it my mission to get you out. Every few days we'll take a walk and visit. And I'll use the time to introduce you to people."

"Don't you have training and missions to take care of?"

"I don't serve anymore. Of course I still serve the village with my clans medicinal remedies."

"I'd like to walk out and meet people with you."

The smile she gave Shikaya lit his heart. He was unwilling to hope something happened to Hata, but he wouldn't complain if it did.