Chapter 32

Chikako dried the last dish and set it on the shelf. Breakfast had been another success for her. She was gaining confidence everyday, even though there was still a lot to learn. It had been a week since they'd met Shikaya. Chikako was trying to take her mother out every day but that left the housework to Akira and she didn't feel it was fair.

"Mother will you go for a walk alone today? I have things I have to do and the walk will do you good."

"Oh, I don't think so Chikako. I'll just stay here and work on my embroidery."

"Mother..." she was interrupted by a knock at the door.

Shikaya Nara greeted her with a nod. "I was wondering if Maki was in?"

"Come in. Would you like some tea?" Chikako stepped back to welcome the Nara clan leader.

"I don't want to be a bother. I stopped to see if Maki wanted to go see the Nara herds with me?"

"She'd love to." Chikako grinned.

"Chikako! Can I talk to you a moment?" Her mother sounded upset. She pulled Chikako into the kitchen. "I'm a married woman, I can't just go walking with any man I want to."

"Mother?" Chikako frowned at her. "It's just a walk."

"You know what I mean."

"Mother, no one will think anything. Konoha is different than Iwa. Besides, it's not like he's courting you mother. Just go have fun." She pulled her mother back into the front room. She gave Shikaya a meaningful look before she spoke. "Didn't I hear Hashirama ask you to help my mother settle in the other day when I was at the training fields, Shikaya."

Fortunately he got the hint,. "That's exactly why I came by. I thought a stroll around the village and a stop to see the herds would be a nice distraction for her. I'll have her back by mid-afternoon."

"Mother, you'll enjoy it."

Her mother left, looking very nervous but Chikako knew some of those nerves came from living alone in her rooms for so long. She needed to break out and make friends.