Chapter 15

Chikako wiped the tears that had gathered at the corners of her eyes. Reassured that Tobirama wasn't unhappy with their marriage she turned to face the Hokage and his wife.

"Tobirama warned me that everyone thinks he's grumpy and mean. Believe me, when I say he's the most considerate man I've ever met."

Mito bit back a smile while Hashirama stared openly at her and then looked to Tobirama. "I"m not sure how Hata survived this agreement, but I'm glad you didn't kill him."

"Believe me, it wasn't easy. Forgive me Chikako." Tobirama glanced at her apologetically, "Hata is the most tiresome man, full of himself and his own importance. If I'm being honest, I'm not sure he'll last as head of Iwa for long, but for now we have an ally in him."

Chikako hid her smile behind her teacup. Tobirama had summed her father up perfectly. Hashirama watched her for a moment, as if for a reaction and then stood, bowing to her and then Mito.

"Tobirama, let's take this conversation to my office and let our wives get to know each other. I'm sure they aren't interested in the details of running a village."

Chikako was very interested, but it was likely they needed to discuss matters she wouldn't be privy to until she'd earned their trust. She nodded to Tobirama and brushed a kiss against his cheek. "I'll be fine. I'm looking forward to getting to know Mito and meet her staff."

Tobirama furrowed his brows but said nothing as she slipped off his lap onto her own cushion. "I'll see you at dinner then."

When they'd left Mito cleared her throat. "I think we need to talk, Chikako."

"Please, call me Chika."

"Chika—" Mito paused as she seemed to search for words. "I'm not sure what you mean by staff."

"Oh, don't you have a housekeeper, and cook?" Chikako looked around them, her stomach sinking as she saw no one hovering in the kitchen or bustling around the house. "You don't have any staff, do you?"

"I don't." Mito said gently.

"So you do all the housework yourself?" Chikako's stomach cramped at the thought. "And the cooking?"

"Yes. What did your mother do in Iwa?" Mito refilled her teacup and offered the pot to Chikako.

Chikako declined more tea with a shake of her head and frowned. Had her mother ever cooked? It had always been Naomi in the kitchen. Her mother did needlework, and a little gardening, just flowers outside her rooms.

"My mother..." she flushed, acutely aware of the differences between Iwa and Konoha. "No, my mother didn't cook, and I don't either." She buried her face in her hands. How was she going to be a wife to Tobirama if she couldn't even run his household?

Her fear and sorrow quickly turned to anger at her father. He'd planned this life for her with no consideration of the world outside Iwa. He'd thrust her into a world she hadn't even known existed until a few days ago.

"Don't worry, Chika. You'll be here for the time being anyway, until we get Tobirama's house built. And I'll figure something out in the meantime." Mito's assurance calmed her.

Chikako smiled at her and sighed. "It seems the world is very different from what my father expected. I wonder if it will come back to haunt him?"

Mito spent the rest of the afternoon telling her about Konoha while they moved Tobirama's things to a larger room and set it up for them to use. She slipped her meager belongings into the cupboard, appalled at how little she had with her. Even Tobirama owned more than she did.

"Can we send someone to Iwa for your things?" Mito asked her when they'd finished with the room.

"No, I imagine it would only prove to my father I was wrong in sending back the palanquin. I'll have to replace a few things, but I'm not worried."

Below them a door slammed shut and footsteps sounded through the house.

"That'd be the men-folk. Let's go make dinner." Mito grinned at her and led her back downstairs.

Chikako hurried behind her, excited to see Tobirama. After spending four days with him she'd missed him this afternoon. Though she supposed she should get used to being away from him now that they were in Konoha.

He greeted her with a smile and gentle hug, waiting when she met his gaze.

"How long was Dai supposed to stay in Iwa?"

"A month, why?" He frowned at her. "Did you want to walk back and get him? Or maybe go home after all?"

Chika gasped, did he still think she wasn't happy here? She shook her head vehemently. "No! I never want to go back to my father's house." She raised an eyebrow at him and let a smile sneak over her mouth, enjoying the way he looked at her lips as she did. "I was wondering if Dai could bring a few things from my rooms back with him though."

"Of course, as long as the messenger bird gets there, I'm sure he won't mind."

"I'll form a list, it won't be long, just two or three of my mother's embroideries, for our home." The thought of having even a piece of her mother cheered her up.

"Are you interested in a little walk through the village before dinner?" He pulled her hand into his as he asked.

A walk would prevent him finding out she couldn't cook, though one thing she'd learned about Tobirama was his ability to observe and sum up a situation quickly.

"I'd love that. I'd also love to clean up before dinner."

"Alas, the hokage is the last to get running water in his house. The best I can offer you is a bucket of lukewarm water and a washcloth." Mito sighed shooting Hashirama a look that might whither a weaker man.

"Let's walk first, and wash up when we get home." Tobirama led her to the door.

As he showed her Konoha Tobirama told her about how the village had been formed, and the plans they had for it. He was passionate about building an academy for shinobi and turning training into an organized venture.

The sun sank below the horizon and twilight came over the village. Lights lit up in windows and torches on the street were kindled to light the way.

Chikako had never felt as relaxed as she did walking with Tobirama through the streets of Konoha and listening to him tell her about his home. She walked quietly beside him, as she had during their trip. She asked a question when she had one, but for the most part she listened, absorbing the story as he shared it.

When he stopped they were standing in front of the hot spring, now closed because of the evening hour. He glanced around, relief apparent in his eyes when he saw no one nearby and drew her toward the door. "Come on, let's get washed up."

"Isn't it closed?" Chikako pulled back on his hand.

"Yes. But I'm not the Hokage's brother for nothing." Tobirama raised an eyebrow at her with a grin.