Chapter 22

By the next afternoon the road they were walking  had turned to grassland and Chikako was taking in the view around her. The last time she had walked this she'd been tired and nervous, about to start a new life in Konoha. Now she had time to appreciate the scenery.

It surprised her, but the days passed quickly. She didn't tire nearly as easily as she had on her last trip. And spending her days with Tobirama, now that she was comfortable with him, was divine.

The men Tobirama had selected to bring to Iwa were all young single guys who had volunteered. They were all strong ninja with strong ties to Konoha. They'd spent some time chatting with Tobirama and Chikako but for the most part they walked quietly ahead of or behind them talking amongst themselves.

Chikako glanced at Tobirama, "I can't thank you enough for letting me come on this trip. I'm looking forward to seeing my mother and Momo."

"But not your father?"

"No, although I am looking forward to showing him how I've changed. I think he'll be surprised."

"That's an understatement. We'll be lucky if he doesn't order my death for your corruption." He looked up at the darkening sky. "It's probably our last night before we arrive in Iwa."

Chikako inhaled deeply. "I can hardly wait to see my mother. And it will be nice to not be walking all day for a while." 

Tobirama called up to the men they were traveling with. "We'll stop here for the night."

Once they'd set up a site one of them went hunting for dinner while the others gathered wood and got a fire going.

Chikako pulled Tobirama aside. "I'm going to find a place to relieve myself."

"Not alone you aren't." He got up to follow her.

"There's no one for miles. And I'll be right here, just over that hillock." She smiled at him. "It'll be ok."

"I'll be right here, yell if you need me." He scanned the horizon with narrowed eyes.

"I always need you Tobirama, but here, in front of the your men?" She smiled slyly at him and stroked a hand down his chest. Chikako laughed at the fire in his eyes as she walked over the hillock she had pointed out.

She was finishing her business and putting her clothes back to rights when she heard the rustle. When she glanced over her shoulder her blood ran cold. Three men crouched in the tall grass, watching her.

"Tobirama!" She shrieked as loudly as she could before one of them grabbed her, covering her mouth before she could say more.

"Oh no you don't little girl. We're gonna have some fun." His fetid breath turned her stomach, already roiling with fear.

Chikako took a deep calming breath, if Tobirama had heard her she'd be fine. She could feel the warmth of his presence and she didn't hear sounds of fighting. There was no way anyone had sneaked up on him and the men traveling with them. She struggled against the grip of the man holding her but she wasn't strong enough and he just tightened his grip. And then she remembered the training she'd been working so hard on and what Tobirama had said when she'd first shown him what she had learned. Another calming breath relaxed her enough, allowing her to focus on her chakra as it flowed through her. Her efforts were rewarded when the man holding her let go.

"What the hell?"

His confusion was all the opportunity she needed. She tumbled to the ground and scrambled away from him, running for Tobirama and the safety he offered. The genjutsu she'd cast wouldn't last long, and she wasn't positive that all three men had been taken in by it. She dared to look over her shoulder, gasping when she saw one of them coming after her and another already recovering from her weak genjutsu. She screamed and turned back only to run straight into Tobirama's firm chest.