Chapter 14

The voices around him faded into the background as Tobirama watched Chikako get dragged off by Mito. He'd worried about how she'd fit in here. In Iwa she'd been polite and quiet. Rarely speaking up at all, and when she had she'd been withdrawn and respectful. Today that seemed to have changed. He liked the change four days had brought about.

"Married, huh?" Hashirama grinned at him.

"It was a brave and wise move. Unexpected though." Madara raised his eyebrows at Tobirama.

Tobirama scowled at both of them. "It was all Hata offered. He'd hear of nothing else, though we did exchange men as well, for training."

"And she went along with it?" Hashirama frowned at him. "She didn't strike me as the type to be told what to do."

"She certainly didn't." Madara looked in the direction Mito had taken Chikako with a curiosity Tobirama didn't like.

"She did as her father told her. If she's been led to believe she won't be sheltered and ordered around in Konoha the way she was in Iwa, well, maybe that's a good thing." Tobirama shook off the chill that gripped him, huffing and starting off toward the Hokage residence, which was likely where Mito had taken her.

"I see your attitude hasn't changed at all." Madara's dry comment stopped him in his track.

He rounded on the head of the Uchiha clan. "My attitude is for peace, at whatever cost that is. Yours should be too."

He glared into Madara's narrowed eyes, daring him to make a scene and when the man didn't move he resumed his mission to find Chikako.

He didn't know what had caused her outburst, but it was completely out of character and she was likely terrified. First by whatever had scared her enough to demand a say in her future, and second by being thrown into her new home without barely a moment to breathe. He was going to find her and make sure she was managing.

People cleared out of his way as he stalked toward Hashirama's home. He was vaguely aware that Hashirama was tailing him, trying to catch up and failing. He arrived at the front door with several conclusions. The most important being he needed a home of his own now.

Mito could be heard clattering around in the kitchen, chattering away to a silent Chikako. He'd had little opportunity to observe how his new wife interacted with people when he wasn't around and paused at the door to listen and watch.

"Can I help you with tea, Mito?" Chikako's sweet voice made his heart pulse in his chest. He'd never had thought it possible, but he was getting attached to her. More than a shinobi should be attached to anyone.

"Of course not. You'll have plenty of time to help. Relax, recover. Has my awful brother-in-law been running you into the ground? Has he been feeding you road rations?"

Tobirama withheld the growl that rose in his throat. Mito was abrasive but she meant well and underneath her rough manner she had a heart of gold. If Chikako made friends with Mito she'd have a staunch supporter.

He nodded as Hashirama joined him in his spying and whispered in his ear. "Are we watching our women now?"

The corners of Tobirama's lips turned up as his shoulders shook with the humor of the moment.

"Oh no! Tobirama as been very kind. I'm sure we walked slowly because of me but he never once complained. And we spent yesterday at a hot spring, so I'd feel prepared today." Chikako insisted.

Tobirama dared to glance around the corner. Mito had stopped what she was doing and stared at Chikako, mouth open. She hesitated and then snapped her mouth shut and resumed her tea-making, setting two more places before settling down and pouring Chikako's tea.

"You two can stop eavesdropping and come in. We aren't likely to say anything good about either of you anyway." Mito raised an eyebrow at them both as they came out of hiding.

"Hashirama was never a good spy." Tobirama teased his brother and settled on a cushion beside Chikako. "Is Mito taking care of you?"

"I'm fine Tobirama." She picked up the teapot and filled his cup with a grin. "Tea husband?"

Tobirama's smile reached parts of his face that had never smiled before and fell as he caught the look of disbelief on his brother's face.

"Chikako, will your belongings arrive soon?" Mito sipped her tea and then scowled at Tobirama.

"I only brought a pack. Tobirama took it just before we arrived." Chikako glanced at him.

"I left it by the stairs. I'll bring it up to my— our room later."

"Only a pack?" Mito raised her eyebrows.

"Did my brother make you leave everything behind?" Hashirama's outrage raised Tobirama's irritation, but before he could respond Chikako had pulled his hand into hers and was scowling at both of them too.

"No. My father made me leave everything precious behind. The things I could have brought with me can be replaced. It was more important to help my new husband return to his duties than drag a few baubles with me."

Hashirama frowned at her and then broke into a wide smile. "She almost makes you sound considerate, Tobirama."

"Tobirama is the most considerate man I've met." Chikako snapped at his brother. "He's given me more consideration in the five days since our bethrothal than my father has given me all my life."

Tobirama sighed as Mito's mouth fell open. When she recovered her face was bright red and her eyes glowed with anger and the power sealed within her. "Five days!?"

"It's okay, Mito. My father didn't have any regard for me, but Tobirama has proven to me that not all men are like my father."

Mito and Hashirama both narrowed their eyes, quiet as they absorbed what Chikako had said. Finally Hashirama spoke, "If you don't want to be married Chikako, I'll annul your marriage and honor the alliance. You'll be free to stay here or go home."

Tobirama's heart pounded. He didn't think, after last night, that Chikako wanted to leave him, but if she chose to annul their marriage and return to Iwa, he'd let her. His heart twisted at the thought and he found himself hoping she'd stay. Even if she didn't want to be married. If she were in Konoha not only could he be sure of her safety, he could win her heart the right way.

"I'm perfectly happy being married to Tobirama." She blushed and glanced up at him, uncertainty in her eyes. "Unless he feels differently, I'd like to stay married to him."

Tobirama ignored his brother and Mito's shocked faces and smiled reassuringly at Chikako. "I'm very happy being your husband Chika."

The smile she gave him was weak, wavering on her full lips. He bent his head, brushing his lips against hers and whispered against them, "I'm very happy with you, peacemaker."

He hadn't expected her to throw her arms around his neck and cling to him, but he didn't hesitate to pull her onto his lap and slide his tongue into her open mouth. His actions would reassure her more than anything he could say.