Chapter 9

The group of ninja, and one wife, walked the rest of the day, making camp at sunset in a clearing just off the road. In deference to Chikako, who probably wouldn't enjoy the road rations they usually ate, Kin hunted, bringing back a few small squirrels, and roasted them over the fire Hideo had made.

Now sunset had passed and the sky was fading into an inky black as the stars popped out. While Tobirama had been talking with his and Hata's men, Chikako had unpacked and spread her bedroll and now she was laying back looking up at the stars with drooping eyes.

She'd done well with walking since stubbornly sending the palanquin back to her father. Tobirama chuckled under his breath at the veritable cold shoulder she'd given her father. Hata would not be happy. Worse, he probably wouldn't even connect it to his poor consideration of her feelings in this treaty.

He nodded at his men and joined her, laying his bedroll beside hers. He squatted down and blended the edges of their rolls so he could stay close to her, ensuring her safety.

"Were you planning tomorrow's trip?" She rolled to her side, propping her head up on her hand.

"Mostly I was explaining what to expect to your father's men. And I added a stop to our trip. I wanted to be sure they were all in agreement with the additional two days of travel." He unbuckled armor while he spoke to her and then laid down on his roll facing her in the position she'd adopted. With barely a hands breadth between them the lavender scent of her swept over him. He wanted to pull her into his arms, bury his face in her neck, and stroke the long lines of her body with his hands. He wanted to hear her moan under his attention and shudder under his touch. Instead he focused on her smile.

"Where will we stop?"

"Are you ready to sleep?"

She'd notice the deflection and he hoped she'd accept it. He had a surprise in mind and didn't want to get her hopes up if it fell through for some reason.

She searched his eyes for a moment, but a lifetime of being Hata's daughter had firmly taught her that men ruled the world. Tobirama would change that, and if he didn't, Mito would. Tonight he settled for her willingness to follow. It worked with his plan.

She nodded and pulled her roll up as she settled her head on her pack. When he pulled her close she froze, and when he didn't manage to withhold the groan that pressing her against him elicited she tried to scoot away.

He tightened his hold on her and whispered into her ear. "No, Chikako. Stay close so I know your safe."

She held her breath, stiff in his arms until he nuzzled the back of her head.

"You're beautiful, Chikako. I can't help but react to your closeness. I will never let my instinct affect how much I respect you." He kissed her neck. "You need sleep, let me keep you safe."

She relaxed, letting him slide his arm under her head to replace her pack as a pillow and in moments her breathing had settled into the deep, long breaths of sleep.

Tobirama lay there another hour wondering how this naive, inexperienced girl he'd essentially had thrust upon him as a wife had charmed her way into his heart with her unexpected strength and character. His return to Konoha was going to be memorable for Hashirama's reaction alone.

He woke with her warm body tucked firmly against him. He pulled away just enough that when she woke she wouldn't be greeted by his interest pressing into her backside.

The sun was making its appearance on the horizon before Chikako's eyes drifted open and she stretched against him. This time he managed to withhold the groan that rose in his throat.

"Did you sleep well?" He let his attraction to her show in the sensual, tease of his question and the stroke of his hand on her hip, enjoying the flutter of her eyelashes and the pink that stained her cheeks. The fact that she didn't pull away from him warmed his heart.

"Like a rock, thank you." She shifted to her back and smiled up at him. "Did you?"

"As well as can be expected." He pushed his bedroll to the side and stood up, buckling on his armor as he explained their day to her. "We have another long day of walking today. Do you need me to carry your pack?"

Chikako stood beside him to straighten her clothes and then knelt so she could pack their bedrolls. "I'll be okay. I need to learn how to survive in your world. It seems the world my father raised me in didn't prepare me for it."

She looked up at him, squinting in the morning sunlight. Her hair was mussed, bits of it escaping the braid she kept it in and he brushed back tendrils from her face, leaning over to brush his lips against hers. "You're doing just fine, Chikako."

"Chika."

He tilted his head in an unspoken question.

"It's Momo's nicknamed for me. Chika. If you like, you can call me that also."

Tobirama's heart swelled in his chest. She might have been terrified three days ago, but Chikako was adjusting quickly. He had no idea what their marriage would end up looking like, but he imagined they'd do just fine.

"Let's get moving, so we can be done with it. When we stop the day after tomorrow I'll have a surprise for you."

The light in her eyes brought a smile to his face and peace to his heart. How long had it been since he'd felt so comfortable with anyone?